The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Channing Pollock passes away (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
A sad loss to the world of magic and dove magic in particular. Channing Pollock has died of cancer at age 79.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
This is sad. It seems like the magic world has lost more than it's fair share recently. We owe a great deal to Mr. Pollock.

R.I.P.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Yep, I just read an email about it. I must be getting old. Most of the magicians who seemed to give me my influence, who I looked up too, was passed away in the past two years.

Bad news to cap off a bad week!
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
It's situations like this that make you open your eyes to life.

We complain about trivial things in life, like traffic for instance, and we don't realize that the traffic we sit in, could be the last time we ever sit in it.

People come and go like the drop of a hat. We are born, we exist, and we die. Some go unnoticed, some go out with a bang. But each and every person changes the world in one way or another.

We argue with each other about insignificant things, like who was the last leave a light on, or who forgot to wash the dishes, instead of cherishing each moment that we have.

"... we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really.

How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it?

Perhaps four or five times more. perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty.

And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee.

God Bless old friend.
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Channing Pollock's death is a loss to the world of entertainment. He brought awareness of dove magic to many.

Thank you Sir! You will be missed.

Bob and Lucy Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4864 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Our prayers and condolences go out to his family. He was truly a legend and role model not only to dove workers but to the entire magic community. May he rest in peace.
Where the magic begins
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Very sad news. I had not ever had the opportunity to see him while he was alive but I have talked with many that have and they all say the same one word,"Master". He will be missed.
Magis6 I understand what you say when you talk about your influences in your life seem to be leaving you. I was away from magic for a long time and now that I am back I find that the people that meant so much to me in my career have passed away. We need to cherish the moments they were in our lives.
Justin David, No one could add anything to your post. It was shear magic of words. Some of the best I have ever read. Thankyou for it. Was it all from Bradon Lee or any of it your words? No matter what is was moving.

Thankyou
Steven
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
Thanks for every thing you have done for our art Channing Pollock .... you will be remember forever ....
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
So sad, I didn't even know he was sick. I got to meet him in Vegas last year. As I shook his hand and told him what an honor it was to meet him, he looked me right in the eye, squeezed my hand and said, "Young man, it is MY honor to meet you." Class act all the way.
Rest in Peace Channing
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
I never know what to say when one dies, but, to his life I say thank you.
POOF!
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
The second half is a quote by Brandon Lee in his last film interview before he passed on.
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
magic mike
View Profile
New user
Michael M.
88 Posts

Profile of magic mike
The first time I saw Channing Pollock perform was his first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show on March 7, 1954. I was only 12 years old and just getting into magic, however, I knew I was watching something very special. I know for me that was the defining moment that made me want to do dove magic. For the longest time I didn't even know his name until I asked an adult magician at Holden's Magic Shop in Boston where I used to go each Saturday. There I met many famous magicians of the time including Herman Hanson, Slydini, General Grant(the famous dove worker), Silent Mora, Harry Balckstone Sr, Chop Chop, Rico, Ray Goulet, Irv Wiener(Mr. Fingers) and many others but never Channing. However, I did finally meet him and his wife, Joann in August of 2004 in Las Vegas at the Magic Inc. convention. He was very charming and cordial to me and the other magicians that were waiting to meet him.

I wish to offer my condolences to his wife Joann and his son Russell. I don't believe there will ever be another like him.

Michael John
Channing Pollack is my idea of the perfect magician. For those of you that have not seen him perform, I recommend trying to get hold of a video of an old movie called "European Nights" made about 1959.
I was able to buy this video from Stevens Magic
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Thread of Channing Pollock in Encyclopedia of Dove Magic
(by Marian Chavez)

“Doves are a beautiful accessory to an act, but beautiful as they are, they cannot be expected to carry the weight of the performance on their delicate wings. That responsibility rests squarely on the performer himself.”

“Channing’s style has become well known as have some of the effects originated by him.”

I had not met Mr.Pollock, in my book I will always know of him as a legend of magic, Thank you Channing Pollock you will be remembered by your fellow Magicians,

prayers and condolences to his family,

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1654 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I had never met Mr Pollock--wish I did.
I saw his act on two different ocassions on the Ed Sullivan.
His was class all the way. There will be only one Channing Pollock.
You set the bar way back in the 1950s, and now you are gone.
We will miss you, but always will be remembered as the best.
Richard Lyn
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Whoa, only just heard this now, shocked ans saddened.
Nick