The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Memorised BCS for Mnemonica?? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Chris Jenkins
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of Chris Jenkins
What are peoples' opinions on using the method taught in Memorised BCS for memorising the Mnemonica stack? Not sure if I am missing something, but for me this appeals more than the method taught in Tamariz's book...?

Before I embark on the approach, would appreciate what people think??

Thanks
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
on top of a 14000' mountain in Colorado
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
Well the answer is simple. Use whatever method appeals to you most and the one you are likely to stick to until you truly memorize the deck.

Some people like the brute force method and others prefer the mnemonic associations like those taught in learning the Aronson Stack. I used the Tamariz methods and they worked very well for me.

Hope that helps and good luck!

** Bill **
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1571 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Go with Osterlinds Memorized Breakthrough Card System. If you work with his BCS then memorizing it will only add to the effectiveness of it.
sullivanl
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of sullivanl
Learn the method Tamariz teaches in the book. It is the best method out there, it just makes a lot of sense. I got the stack down in about 4 days.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Or learn the Joyal stack, and make it 4 hours instead of 4 days. ok, the book says 6 hours, but it didn't take that long.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
opay
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of opay
Osterlind BCS ( Breakthrough Card System) maybe little confused first, but when you mastering it, it will become very usefull
best regards

=payz=
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
Quote:
On 2006-03-13 03:50, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Or learn the Joyal stack, and make it 4 hours instead of 4 days. ok, the book says 6 hours, but it didn't take that long.

Lobowolf, in which book can I find the Joyal stack ??

:bikes: Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile
Sergey Smirnov
View Profile
New user
Belgium
70 Posts

Profile of Sergey Smirnov
I used Tamariz's method and it worked well for me.
jcigam
View Profile
Special user
Bellevue, Nebraska
512 Posts

Profile of jcigam
For the Joyal stack check out: http://www.joyalstack.com

Jered S.
"The mind has exactly the same power as the hand, not merely to grasp the world, but to change it."
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:

It took me less than 6 hours as well.
xformer7
View Profile
Veteran user
Central NJ
309 Posts

Profile of xformer7
I also "learned" the stack in under 6 hours. Don't confuse this with knowing the stack cold, however. At six hours, I could determine the card at a specified position or vice versa, but it took me weeks to know it cold and have an instant association.

Nick Pudar's Stackview (http://www.stackview.com) was invaluable to getting my stack down cold.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
You might care to read "Mnemonics with Cards" by H. Adrian Smith found on page 902 of "Greater Magic".
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2006-03-13 06:37, Mago Gregorio wrote:
Quote:

Lobowolf, in which book can I find the Joyal stack ??

:bikes: Smile Smile

"The Six Hour Memorized Deck." The subsequent post, though, about "knowing" the stack vs. having it down cold, is quite correct.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2504 Posts

Profile of ddyment
My own stack can easily be learned in less than an hour. I wholeheartedly agree with the previous posters that there is a difference between "learning" a stack (i.e., you know the card at every position, and vice versa) and being able to recall this information with absolutely no hesitation. That said, however, there are plenty of excellent effects that require only the "knowing".

This issue is discussed at more length in my on-line essay on full-deck stacks.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
I'm hacking the Mnemonica stack into a ajamming blues song, and recording it in my home studio, myself.
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
[Warning: Off Topic post]

Wow Ron!

I'd be interested in hearing a short sample of that when the time comes.

Could be even more catchy than Tom Leherers song of the chemical elements. Is that where you go the idea?

Michael
strollingmagician
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of strollingmagician
Tamariz method of memorizing is the best for me, using the methods given in his wonderful book, it took me 3 hours with the song on my ipod, and the picture cards and singing and drawing and reviewing, its great he says after 20 years, someone who did nothing with the stack can still remeber the cards.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Quote:
On 2006-03-14 06:37, molsen wrote:
[Warning: Off Topic post]

Wow Ron!

I'd be interested in hearing a short sample of that when the time comes.

Could be even more catchy than Tom Leherers song of the chemical elements. Is that where you go the idea?

Michael

The elements song is great! But Tamariz actually tells you to make a song up in the book, and explains what you should do with it.
tjo'
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Tamariz's method is quite good -- and the system for Memorized BCS is quite good -- because they're each based on Harry Lorayne's "memorize anything, anywhere, any time" methods. Richard Osterlind even credits this in the Mem BCS book. Tamariz doesn't use Harry's peg system, but he uses the "ridiculous association" method.
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
I had memorized Mnemonioca, but sadly let it "fade". I have now been using the BCS for a number of routines and really love the use.

I am soon going to memorize the BCS and use it exclusively. Why not have the best of both worlds. I am sure Richard will attest to the fact that memorizing it when you use it all the time becomes second nature, BUT...

What if you never had to worry about forgetting what card comes after the 3 of Clubs, or the 8 of diamonds. I mean you never have to "fear" forgetting in performance again. Your cue is always there (the card before).

There.. I've said it, now I am off the memorize.

Sean