The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Hollowing out a log? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
O.K., weird question: I have a potential use for a section of tree trunk which has been hollowed out, sort of "Boy scout canoe" style. Does anyone know how to do this? Do I simply cut a flat side in the log, then start removing wood via chainsaw and chisel? I assume I can use inner and outer calipers to measure the thickness so I don't go all the way through. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Dave Fiscus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Dave Fiscus
I've never hollowed out a tree trunk but have emptied the center of smaller, but similar objects while making boxes from pieces of tree limb. I used a band saw but the technique would probably work for a chain saw, too. First cut off one side of your log, then the opposite side with a parallel cut. Finally do the top and bottom log sides with parallel cuts. Discard the center and glue the log back together again. This method is a lot easier than using the Indian's method of burning then hacking out the center or, in your case, trying a chisel!
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
As I recall some of the "Dugout" canoes made by aboriginals (in several different parts of the world) were made by burning out part of the log. Mind you, they didn't have chainsaws back then so it might not be necessary. I suggest googling a while for some info.
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
Yep, I believe the OG way was to burn it out. I think someone may be needing a permit....Smile

Another method: five hungry beavers tied to a two by four.
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Quote:
On 2006-03-13 13:09, bsears wrote:
Yep, I believe the OG way was to burn it out. I think someone may be needing a permit....Smile

Come on now Brett, you can't really think I'd drag a tree out to my front yard and start a blazing fire and...Oh wait Smile
camikesrd
View Profile
Regular user
Richmond,Virginia
103 Posts

Profile of camikesrd
Trained termites. If thet does not work I think there is a scoop adze that would

Mike
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Just a safety note, be very careful with a chainsaw. It can kick back on you very easily. I know one guy who was a tree trimmer and he had a saw kick back into his leg. He was lucky as he was wearing chain saw chaps and that stopped the injury from being too serious. He worked with chainsaws all the time and this accident still happened to him.

Be carefull.

scott