The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Up in smoke! :: Fire To Restore News Paper...Help! (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1194 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
O.K. this is not really for a newspapers...but a medical brochure.

I have been using the method for "center tear" (T&R newspaper) to restore a medical brochure for an orthopedic company that I have been working for.

I have seen several magicians use some sort of fire for the restoration of center tear. Basically after the paper is torn...the seam is lit on fire and it burns in a line before going out.

Since this medical company uses "lasers" for their procedures I thouht that this would be a nice touch. Anyone know where I can find this?

PM me if necessary...

Thanks,
Cody S. Fisher
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of knmagic
I used a laser keychain to restore the paper on one show where the fire wasn't allowed. I was on a stage and it didn't look good at all. The audience couldn't see the light clearly but if you are close up or parlor, it should be good. There are many office supply stores that carry laser light pens now. You may even find one in the Dollar store.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Hi Cody.

I'm not sure, but it seems that flash string could be used to do what you describe. Most magic shops that carry flash paper should have flash string.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
95 Posts

Profile of Merodach
Hi Cody,

Did you figure out a solution? The flash string I have tried with a newspaper ends up catching the newspaper on fire.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2021, Merodach wrote:
The flash string I have tried with a newspaper ends up catching the newspaper on fire.

Never tried it. But off the top of my head, I would imagine that treating the newspaper with some sort of fire retardant might prevent that ?

I never tried it because it seems like that is a signature move of Lance's performance of Center Tear and I don't recall that he ever said it was ok for other people to use it. I would at least ask his permission. He is more or less retired now , so he might say it's ok with him if you use it . If Lance didn't come up with that presentational flourish for the Center Tear , forgive me , but he is the one I associate with that move. I've never seen anyone do it that way before him.
Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
95 Posts

Profile of Merodach
Thanks for the insight and suggestion Mr. Todd, I also think it would be considered his signature flourish for the Center Tear.