The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Workshop in reverse (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
So the usual thread here is about building props from everyday materials, objects etc....

I had an experience today where I used a magic prop for a non-magical need.

I needed to burn some dried old palms to produce ashes for the Ash Wednesday worship service at church. Every year I do this, and forget what container to burn in. Running around my office, I realized I have a modified dove pan which is a low-rent flame dove pan, but the point is it's a container with some blackening in it, and can take a flame. Voila! Palm burning pan.

Anyone else find themselves using a pricey magic-specific prop for something else entirely? 10 foot pole as a drain snake? Clean your stove with sponge balls? Serve drinks on your performing table?
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I've got a bunch of chains used in an escape trick which are currently suspending some items in overhead storage out in my garage. Then there's the time my girlfriend and I used those shackles... well, that's not really a story for this board Smile
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
You shouldn't have use the trick shackles that allowed her to escape ... no wonder magicians can't keep a girlfriend.

I had a one-time use illusion that I built for a county fair. It was not a very practical trick but for that one show, so I dismantled it and used the wood for shelving in my garage.

A few years back on eBay there was an old "Dismbodied Princess" illusion that someone was using as a curio cabinet. There was another prop -- I'm thinking it was an old sideshow blade box -- that was being used as a coffee table. Both sold pretty cheaply, under $300.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I don't know if this helps...

I use my David Blaine "Fearless" DVD to keep the desk from wobbling...j/k!

Bryan
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I don't know if this helps...

I use my David Blaine "Fearless" DVD to keep the desk from wobbling...j/k!

Bryan
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Judging from your posts, you had TWO short legs!