The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: Your Top Ten Magazines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Cranial Fermentator
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Cranial Fermentator
In the last 3 years, I have become addicted to collecting all sorts of old magic periodicals. I'm wondering which ones my fellow collectors like to collect, and I'd love to hear your favorites. So far here are my favorites in no particular order:

The Linking Ring
Genii
M-U-M
The Gen
New Tops
The Bat
Hugard's Monthly
The Budget
The Phoenix
Magicgram

Thanks so much,

Paul
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
What, no Magic, or The Magic Circular? And if you like collecting, you need to join the Magic Collectors' Assoc. ($25/yr) so you can get Magicol! Clay
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5484 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Sadly, I cannot speak to all available publications since I know that there are some great ones (including Magicol, from what I hear) that I haven't seen, or seen enough of. Of the ones that I feel relatively-to-well familiar with here are my ten picks...

Apocalypse (always at the top of my list)
Jinx
Hugard's Magic Monthly
Channel One
Antinomy
Magick
Minotaur
Phoenix
Richard's Almanac
Kabbala

I also have a lot of love for Genii, Pabular, Mind Over Magic and Oracle (the last two are too new to include at this time, but well on their way up the list).

I'm sure I'll think of more the minute I hit the "submit reply" button.
Cranial Fermentator
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Cranial Fermentator
Clay - Thanks for letting me know about the Magic Collectors' Assoc. and Magicol! I will definately check them out. As for "Magic", are you referring to the Stan Allen
or the Ellis Stanyon publication. I think the current "Magic" is great, probably the slickest magic magazine I've ever seen but my current taste is for the older stuff. I like "Stanyon's Magic" and have a few copies in my collection. Both peridicals are definately in my top 25. As for the Magic Circular, I must confess that is one of my biggest disapointments. I only have 3 issues from the 1970's, so I probably should judge the whole periodical,but my problem is basically the issues I have are too thin and don't enough magic material for my taste. They are fine as a newsletter for The Magic Circle, but I didn't get much pleasure reading them.

Magicguy - Thanks so much for your list. Except for Jinx, Hugards, Phoenix, and Genii, everything you mentioned is on my list of magazines I haven't aquired yet.
I had a chance to pick up a run of Apocalypse on Ebay, but I waited for the last minute to bid and then my computer froze. If you do think of any more, please post them, I love to hear what they are.

Thanks,

Paul