The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic Friday by Jamie D. Grant :: Jeff Pierce's THE DOUBLE-JOINTED CARD from his book THE KING HAS LEFT THE BUILDING...WITH AMNESIA (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Feb.24/06

What The Audience Sees:

'This week Jamie said he was too cold to do any magic but that he brought his assistant (Suzie) who was going to perform instead. 'Suzie' was actually the Queen of Hearts which he placed inside a $20 dollar bill where he creased the card to 'help her warm up.' He also mentioned that Suzie was double-jointed and he proceeded to fold her in two so that she was completely face in, inside the bill. He then pushed her through the bill and she was face out! He pulled her completely out of the bill and she was totally inverted. He did it again, stopping halfway, when he ripped her in two. When he pulled the bill away she was half face in and half face out!'

How It Went:

I just want to mention that I view myself as a writer and not a reviewer. Even though I give ratings and the like, it's really only a reflection of how everyone liked the effect. If they love it, then it's a high score, if not, well, I try not to do low score magic. Either way, I just write what happened. Regardless, everyone loved Jeff's Double-Jointed Card. I mean everyone. Even Angry Bob loved it. It's clear, concise, and magical.

I remember learning 'Card Warp' a couple of years ago but it never really stuck with me. I'm not sure why, it was almost like a throw away effect. Too quick, maybe? But with Jeff's I'm able to pull the card completely out and do it a second time (which everyone asks for). I'm extremely particular with which magic I do and what makes my "Wallet Cut." Very few things go into my wallet and when they do, they're generally 9 or 10 out of 10s. Hundy, Three Card Monte, Extension of Credit. And now Double Jointed.

Angry Bob Rating:

I have a co-worker (Bob) whose uncle was a magician and thereby has a good working knowledge of how magic works. He's pretty grumpy but likes Magic Friday's because he can tell me how he figured out how the effect is done... A high rating means he'll never figure it out.

5/5. Bob had absolutely no idea but liked it so much he didn't really care. "Spectacular." he said. That's a direct quote. Perhaps someone with Origami experience might be able to figure it out, but even then the angles are covered so well, I don't think you'd ever have to worry. I won't.

My Rating:

Like I said, everyone loved it but it's not an "OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH!" effect. It didn't exactly change anyone's lives but went over so well that I was going to give it a 9/10. Upon further reflection, however, I'm changing it to a 10/10. I go through so much material that's it's extremely rare that I'll add anything to my walk around "Wallet Cut", but Double Jointed makes it. I've already placed 2 cards in my wallet.

The JDG Tip:

I changed the patter to give the card a name, in this case 'Suzie.' It kind of added something, I thought, and made it a bit more fun. Also, when it's over, I can say, "Let's give a big round of applause for Suzie!" which provides the kind of closure I like. A lot of magic can just leave people stunned and I like to give them a release if I can.

Closing Thoughts:

Whenever I perform something from a Café Member I get a little nervous. I'm lucky, however, because I choose the tricks I know will go over well and also because we have some truly talented Members on the Café. Jeff's one of them. Check out his book at Jeff Pierce Magic

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE!

Jamie D. Grant
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk