The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: History of dove effects.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I have been thinking about putting together a solid dove routine and wanted to make sure I wasn't stepping on any toes when developing it... With this in mind, who originated many of the effects/methods of productions/ vanishes? I was curious about:
- the sleeve toss
- color change
- split a dove (produce 2 doves)
- dove onto cane
- balloon to dove
- coat-tails ditch
- dove to silk toss
add more if you think of any....

Bryan
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Hey Bryan, how long have you been working with doves?

That looks like a solid, basic routine, BUT 4 out of the 5 doves that you will need for it, will be body loads. Are you sure you want to jump into an act with four body loads?

A dove split is an extremely complicated move at first, and takes a lonnnnggg time to perfect.

The balloon to dove is perfect for a beginner, as it is self working, and isn't a body load. Maybe a dove pan?

Justin
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
Ordinarily, I encourage everybody to read as much about magic as they can get their hands on. Dove magic is the exception.

While you should read as much modern (post-Vaudville) literature as you can, you're well advised to stay away from the older literature surrounding the act. Its recent history and performances are beautiful, while the stories surrounding its original "methods" are often repugnant.

It's commendable to want to give credit where due. Ian Adair's Encyclopedia of Dove Magic probably holds most of your answers...

Regards,

-jjg
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Justin- I've worked with doves a little bit in the past... My experience was only as deep as two body loads, a Dove Tray, Dove Pan, Osbornes Bim-Bam Box (basically like Doves to Rabbit), and Bangel Net... Not all in one performance... I'd like to do a 3-6 minute act with card manips or billiard balls, silks, and some other added effects....

I have Ian's first book from Encyclopedia of Dove Magic, Womach's 2-volume VHS set, and Tony Clark's "Behind the Seams"...

I'm sure I'm overlooking some of the simple effects done and living in the comfort of doing what everyone else is doing... Any ideas on a list of all the dove-related effects....I think maybe I could format a performance by seeing what there is to do... I hope that makes sense....

Bryan
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Bryan,
If you decide to add a dove from silk, take a look at Neil Foster's dove production. It's a very clean and simple handling. You certainly have enough reference material for the time being.

Regards,
Kregg
POOF!
magicneil
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of magicneil
I believe James Ceilen was the first to do the color changing dove.
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Yeah it was james on the color change as far as I know -or at least who perfected it and made it hiw own, shimada pretty much invented everything else and gabrield perfected it and made it legendary...
DANSPERRY.COM
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Hey Bryan,

I'd stay away from the color changing dove until you get permission. Keep in mind that coloring doves is a pain in the ass. I'm sure Sperry will vouch for that. I had one colored dove in my act for a while for effect, but took it out because it was just a pain to do.

You have plenty of information in front of you to start your act. Good luck.

Dave
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
319 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
Dave, what do you mean by getting permission to do the Colour Chaning Dove?
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Thanks for the advice guys!

BalukMagic- I'm sure what Dave means by getting advice first is... You wouldn't allow a guest to come over and go through your kitchen cupboards and take whatever, right? Normally the polite thing to do is ask for a drink, etc.

It's the same in magic...
The proper thing to do is ask permission to use someone elses idea, effect... Afterall, its not just the effect you are asking permission for... It took that person time and many rehearsals to get to the point of performing it in front of people... just so you and I can ask permission to use it...

In a nut-shell: Give credit where credit is due!

Sorry to lecture...

Thanks again everyone...

Bryan
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Great tip bryan, rawk on
DANSPERRY.COM
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bryan,

That was very well put. Have you considered a career in politics?

In looking for where credit is really due, remember that neither the doves nor the silk in dove magic originated in the western world. For that matter we did not invent animal magic either. American dove magic is relatively recent in the grand scheme of things. How much, if any, that is purely American is very questionable. "I really don't know" can be a very honest answer.

Enjoy your dove magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com