The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: The First Son Of The Protocols Of The Elders Of Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bennettjc
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, NY
257 Posts

Profile of Bennettjc
Friends:

The controversy here and elsewhere regarding Max Maven's "Protocols" and the recent hilarious paradody of Max's Prism/Color Series called inspired me to begin what might be, if others had as much free time as I seem to have, a running and amusing take on the "Protocols" where-in we would find quotes from the magic literature that would be funny when taken out of historical context or "shocking", such as early opinions of Penn & Teller by Richard Kaufmann and so on.

So on occasion I would look through my small collection, particularly the older stuff.
It was suprisingly easy to find some entries that were, shall we say, far from politically correct given current standards. What I found was not particularly amusing despite my pretty off sense of humor. But it was interesting for sure, and worth sharing.

For the record, my research took 12 days and it has taken me about 100 days to remember that I had done it.

I am far from a magic historian but I think what I found says less about the magic community itself and more about American society in general.

So "enjoy" and please feel free to do your own research and add to the list.

December 1936 The Linking Ring p807
W. Clark:
"Ho hum, some gals look stunnin', others look stunned."

April 1938 The Linking Ring p97
Max Terhune and Skully
"First Negro: 'What fo' dat doctah comin' outa youah house?'"
"Second Negro: 'Ah dunno, but Ah think Ah's got an inkling.'"

July 1938 The Linking Ring p304
Carl Schopohl:
"Magicians of Austria are happy over the 'Anchluss".

September 1964 Genii p 29
Kalanag:
"I am often asked if I performed for Nazi big shots? Naturally I did. I performed for Hitler on "German Arts Day" and he was impressed with my non-political magic. Once and a while he would call for me to come to is house in Munich to perform for him."

(ed's note - What would "political" magic be?)

Bennett
NY NY