The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Gambling Spot :: Old age and magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jaybs
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Jaybs
Hello everyone. I was told by my magic mentor that the older you get, the harder it becomes to perform certain sleights in card magic. I was just wondering what you all thought of this?

I understand that as people get older, the body changes in certain ways that may make it a bit harder to perform harder sleights such as the bottom deal or even the pass. Do you feel that age plays a role in the ability to perform certain sleights well? I remember reading that Herb Zarrow was able to perform his Zarrow shuffle very well in his prime, but as he got older, it was not as convincing. He mentioned that "he may not be able to do the Zarrow well anymore, but he could still teach it."

For the older magicians out there(no offense), do you feel that as you got older, it became harder to practice sleights and perform magic, or was my mentor's line of thinking not accurate?
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Take a look at Dai Vernon in "Revelations", although some of his moves appear a bit choppy, some of them are blistering, and he was in his late 80's or early 90's when they shot it.
sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
Yeah but he is not really average.
you can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all the time but never all of the people all the time.
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
And he said (vol 1) his thumb would no longer work well enough to do certain things - maybe changes w/Tenkai palm.
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois