The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Does anyone have a reference for this sleight/method? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Drew from Spotlight
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
124 Posts

Profile of Drew from Spotlight
On World’s Wildest Magic Michael Finney was doing a Cut and restored Routine. During the routine he knotted the rope in a certain way so that when it was cut he appeared to just tie the ends back together to make it appear he just tied two pieces of rope together. He did this twice. His audience assistant was then able to just blow the knots off the rope to reveal a restored rope.

Does anyone know specifically where I can find this method of tying and knotting the rope to get ready for this “Knots Off” effect and what it’s called? Also I do not believe that this is the effect referenced in Mark Wilson’s Course in magic although the end effect is similar.

Thanks for the help
Drew
magicman2000
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of magicman2000
Drew,
I think the answer to your question can be found in Daryl's new DVD called "Fooler Doolers" #2. He demonstrates how to make vanishing and reappearing knots in a very easy to learn presentation. There are
also other good rope tricks explained on the DVD. I highly recommend the whole 3 DVD series, but your question is covered on #2.

Magicman2000
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10969 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Aldo Colombini has several videos out dealing with ropes.
1. lasting impressions he has over 15 rope effects. he also has a video mama mima rope trick written by David Acer book and video
hope this help
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Gilkster
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Gilkster
Hey magicman2000, I was just wondering how much the 3-DVD set costs??? Thanks Smile
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1964 Posts

Profile of Lior
$90.
The Lior Touch
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
magicman2000
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of magicman2000
Gilkster
You can get the DVDs on sale now for $25 each at:
http://www.chazpro.com/specials.html
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Drew,

This is a fairly straightforward sleight. Do you currently perform a Cut and Restored Rope effect? If so, you are undoubtedly partially there.

I would recommend any of George Sands' Sandsational Ropes booklets as a useful source.
PMVIVA
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
460 Posts

Profile of PMVIVA
Hello, Have you tried looking into the McBride on Stages Videos? In volume 1, McBride performs a cut and restored rope routine where he does something like you said, about the knots. I use this move in my routine, it looks great.

MAGO68
If you have an apple and I have an apple, when we exchange them we both have an apple. If I have an idea and you haven an idea, when we exchange them we both have two ideas.

Supporting the open source community.
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
You might save some money and get the "Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks for Magicians" Compiled by Stewart James. Mine is a Dover edition. You should also look in Tarbell (I think vol 2).
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
Gruff
View Profile
New user
UK
9 Posts

Profile of Gruff
Two great rope videos if you can get your hands on them are the Tabary video's vol 1&2 and Fip's Truly Magical Rope Routines. Both, I, think are available through L&L.

They all contain plenty of food for thought, as well as some great routines. But use your noggin and compile the best of each and you will have a CRACKING routine on your hands, above and beyond what you're looking for, I dare say!

Gruff
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
The Pop-off Knot is also very clearly described in my routine The Mongolian Pop-Knot, available in booklet form and just coming out on video. Shameless plug.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Drew,

The whole mess with all three knots is in the back of Tarbell 2. Panama rope mystery or some such. Ted Collins from Mecca magic invented it I believe.

This describes how to make a sliding knot in the same manner you describe. But, if you were to snip the ends shorter than described in Tarbell when you pull on the rope, viola! They pop off.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
Daryl also has videos on just rope magic that include all kinds of knots.

Matt