The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: This brought a tear to my eye (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I watched an episode of "inside the actors studio" the other day. The guest was Liza Minnelli. During the interview she performed a song called "Quiet Love." The song is basically about a girl being in love with a deaf guy and she wanted to be able to tell him how she felt. She even did a little sign language in the performance. A lot of the signs where in correct but it really added meaning to the sing.

I looked for the song on line but I can't find it in English. Some of it is in English but the rest is in French. I tried to use an online translator but they aren't very accurate.

I would love to be able to print the words out just to save it. If anyone can translate this for me accurately I'd appreciate it very much.

Here's a site that has the lyrics:
http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/q/quietlove.shtml

Thanks and if you get a chance to see this episode of the show you'll be able to see what I'm talking about. Sign language can be very emotion when it's sung right. She doesn't exactly use all the right signs but you'll be able to see how graceful it can be.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
If nobody here can translate it for you, I'd be more than happy to have the French teacher at my school do it for you Smile.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks Daniel.

I took a closer look at the lyrics. From what I can gather the French and English are the same words in the song. It's as if one singer signs a line in French then the other singer repeats the same line in English. Can anyone confirm that by looking at the link I put in the original post?

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hey Jaxon! Good to see you in here!

What Charles and Liza sing individually are the basically the same words, keeping in mind not all words transcribe easily from one language to another. Still, it is almost word for word but not said in the same lines if that makes sense?

When they both sing they are saying two different things at the same time. I'll transcribe it for you and get back to you.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks Chrystal.

I can't help but to think that if it's allowed I should create a magic stage act to this song. I know there are copyright issues but with me being deaf it might be possible to work one out. The lyrics never make mention of if it has to be a girl or a guy singing it.

I've always wanted to do an emotional act. So this has me thinking.

Ron Jaxon

Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Again,

I agree Jaxon the song is very beautiful and would be nice to use in your act.

I had the opportunity to look at the site again, (drat my printer isn't working so I keep having to flip back and view it). Again, when "both" are singing they are basically saying the same things. Keeping in mind that language sometimes can't be translated word for word. One line in particular when Liza sings " I'm clumsier than you , it might come out Chinese is not translated in the French version although it could have been. Instead, he sings, "you might laugh at little at me when you see the language of my hands - (sign language in English.)

If exact word for word translation was done I think either it wouldn't have flowed as smoothly for the other language and so they chose to do it that way. Meaning the interpretation was not done line for line but does appear at some point in the song (with the exception of the line I previously mentioned) so the same meaning is in both English and French songs.

Hope that helped.

Chrystal
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Now you all can see it. I just found a video of Liza performing this song on inside the actors studio.

I don't know if it'll be as touching to you unless your'e deaf but I can relate to this song so much. More then once I've had relationships fail in part because they just couldn't deal with my deafness (their loss.. Smile ). But to be honest it's not really there fault. Some people just don't know how to deal with it.

Anyway, Check out the video of Liza performing this song. Maybe you'll see why it was touching to me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0mFFqgYU4Bk

Ron Jaxon