The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: getting started (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JaymesR
View Profile
New user
Minnesota
53 Posts

Profile of JaymesR
I would like to learn about different escapes; chain, rope, handcuff... where should I start? Any book ideas, or other resources I should get?

Thanks!
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
If you want a good all around source for escapes, my recommendation would be to check into the Novak series. I think there are either six or eight in the complete set. It is a good source of information for someone wanting to learn about escapes. I'm not sure who all has them, although I know they are not readily available at magic stores. I know Cannon's Great Escapes carries them, either purchased individually or as a set. I think they might give a slight discount if purchased as a set. I know there are other books out there on escapes and such, but my opinion is that the Novak series is a good starting point. Feel free to e-mail if you have any questions.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
JaymesR
View Profile
New user
Minnesota
53 Posts

Profile of JaymesR
thanks!
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
I have to agree with Margarette (Hi Margarette). Novak's books are a very good place to start. They cover a variety of items and ideas that you will have lots of fun trying out.

Here is a partial list from my escape library that may be helpful to you:

Norman Bigelow's Course in Escape Artistry
Norman Bigelow's The Cord
John Novak's The Art of Escape Vol 1-8
John McLaury's Encyclopedia of Escapes and the recent remake of it called Micky Hades' New Expanded Encyclopedia of Escapes
David DeVal's Lock Picking Part 1&2 and
The Escapology Secrets of David DeVal
UF Grant's Rope, Chain & Box Escapes
Burling Hull's 33 Rope Ties & Chain Releases

Can anyone add anything else? I just remembered that Steve Santini has one or two books out as well.

Joe Marotta