The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Square Circle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2006-02-08 10:16, Bob Sanders wrote:
We even have live unicorns in the yard.

What do they eat, Purina Unicorn Chow? Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
George,

Lucy tells me that we had to have the hollow tree. The unicorns eat Keebler Chocolate Chip Cookies made by elves.

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I should have known... unicorns have good taste!
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Oh, thank goodness!!! I thought you said they taste good. (...stupid dyslexia...)
~michael baker
The Magic Company
michaelwriting
View Profile
New user
Kenosha, WI
55 Posts

Profile of michaelwriting
Check out ABC Gumball on Wolfmagic website. Pretty costly, but it's definitely a good looking contraption.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2006-02-10 00:44, Michael Baker wrote:
Oh, thank goodness!!! I thought you said they taste good.

Yikes! No, I think I got over that while watching the first Harry Potter movie! Smile
www.georgefledo.net

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Doug- By all means, you can use my idea. The funny thing is...this idea was birthed one day while I was in my HAZMAT Technician course as part of my Firefighter 2 certification proccess... I was doing a little daydreaming that day... and this idea just popped up! I've thought of designing a complete Fire Safety/HAZMAT awareness show to cater to school assemblies with similar designs and ideas as this S/C!!!

If you send me an email, I'll send you a concept design I drew up in "paintshop"

Bryan
daser
View Profile
New user
MARS
28 Posts

Profile of daser
What do you think about a rabbit production from a square circle ?

I like to use the square circle in kid parties to produce toys , small bears, sweets etc. or gifts (especially for the birthday kid).
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
The box could be a drink machine, and the final production could be a Norm Neilsen Coke bottle or a wad of silks with a "stolen" 2-liter bottle. My highest recommendation, however, goes to the Recombobulator - a magnificent piece of work!

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Stuart Coyle
View Profile
New user
Australia
62 Posts

Profile of Stuart Coyle
In the book "Magic and Showmanship", Henning Nelms an idea for a square circle that looked like a piece of electrical scientific apparatus. It's called the Instant Incubator. In any case even if this is not the sort of image you want, he gives good ideas in this book on how to get ideas to create props appropriate to your character.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2006-05-05 20:49, dr_saturn wrote:
In the book "Magic and Showmanship", Henning Nelms an idea for a square circle that looked like a piece of electrical scientific apparatus. It's called the Instant Incubator.

This is where I disagree with Henning. To me, a piece of scientific apparatus, or a scientific reason for something happening, is not magic. It's science.

Superman didn't fly by magic. Captain Picard didn't make his cup of Earl Grey tea appear by magic. People didn't beam up and down to planets by magic. Mag lev trains don't levitate by magic.

But why does Harry Potter's broom fly? Did JK ever give us a scientific reason?

I suppose (as a spectator) I could accept a "scientific device" if the performer presented it in such a way that we know he's pulling our leg, like, "I'm telling you this is a subatomic particle orbit destabilator, but you know (from the way I'm telling you) that it's not." This falls into Whit Haydn's idea of telling a lie that they know is a lie, and is totally different from what some performers did during the late Victorian period, when they offered "real" scientific explanations for their magic.
www.georgefledo.net

Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
When making this, is there any "special" type of black velvet you neeed to use to make this or will any nice black velvet from a fabric shop work for lining the interior?
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Any will do... Do know that velvet does have its own "grain" or "pattern"... Try to keep it all going in the same direction with your inner circle, and it will work quite well!

-Bryan
magicalmischief
View Profile
Loyal user
Massachusetts
239 Posts

Profile of magicalmischief
Does anyone have any plans for a square circle? Dimensions and such. I too would like to build one, but since I am not too mechanically inclined, a friend of mine has agreed to construct it for me. But he needs to see what I can't say...LOL
Seems to me that death is just natures way of telling us to SLOW DOWN!
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
In a month or two, I plan to make a small run of these for anyone interested... I 've seen a lot of people asking for Square Circle ideas and plans... I don't plan on putting a huge price tag on them... If anyone is interested, please PM me... Otherwise, I will be selling them on eBay...

-Bryan

p.s.- I will only make a basic model so you can take them to the next level with your own creative juices!
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
271 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
Magicians have special powers and they can use these powers to make everyday things do extraordinary things. But there are also magical objects, with magical powers, that can help the magician do things. Perhaps a magic wand either directs the magicians powers, or intensifies them. But magical (or "enchanted") objects may also have special powers of their own. Sometimes the magician uses those powers, but sometimes they do magical things on their own accord.

I don't know what your Square Circle does. It might make invisible things visible. It might teleport visible things to it's location. It might create new things. Or it might be a portal to another realm. But whatever magical powers it has, there is no reason why it has to look like an ordinary object. It's not; or at least it doesn't have to be. Of course, part of it could be an enchanted oatmeal box and the other part a special box you need to keep it in.

That said, there is a difference between objects that look magical and those that just look tacky -- or worse. The tube doesn't have to feature a badly stenciled picture of a Chinaman's face while the box looks like a jail cell -- complete with bars.

Thom
Grampa Wizard
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Grampa Wizard
Performance idea I picked up watching Tora demo. I never would have thought of this on my own. So all credit goes to Tora! While showing the tube empty in one hand, you reach over and stick your hand down in the square in front of the f***e. There should be enough room to get in there. Spread fingers and your hand will kinda go around the f***e. Wiggle your fingers in the square while holding the tube pointed at the audience. You are apparently showing both pieces "empty" at the same time. No one can really tell how far back in the box your hand is if you dip in and out just long enough for the image to register. So simple!
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2443 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Check out Axtell's Green Machine, it is a great routine and the props are large and colorful, a nice price too.
Also based on the recycle theme, it could easily be adapted to nuclear waste. Etc.

http://www.axtell.com/gm.html