The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic Friday by Jamie D. Grant :: Barrie Richardson's THE IMPOSSIBLE KNOT ROUTINE from his book Act II. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Oct.08/05

The Effect:

The performer holds a length of white rope between his hands and, without letting go of the ends, he/she is able to tie a knot. This is repeated with the rope tied to his/her fingers. For the finale the knot disappears while the performer turns around in a circle.

How It Went:

Well, let me say that Barrie is a genius. Not a genius in the, "I can make an autombile float and do loop de loops around my head with no threads or cables sense" but in a people sense. He is a genius with Interaction. I saw him lecture a few weeks ago and he truly blew me away. This routine was one he presented and it was simply fantastic. Okay, so how did I do? Weeeellll, maybe not so fantastic. I practised it, changed the patter to fit my style a bit better, test ran it for friends and fam and felt it was ready for Magic Friday. Um... it wasn't. Not that I performed it poorly-I am truly a Master of Mystery and my execution was nothing short of flawless but there were still, undoubtebly, flaws.

I guess it's like Twisting The Aces. Some people love this trick. In their hands it can be the most magical moment some people will ever experience. But I simply don't like it. I perform it and everyone (including myself) looks down at the cards and goes "hunh, that's kinda' neat. Are there any Oreos around here?" And that's the problem- I simply don't love it and it shows. Even though I have the most perfect smile and we're all laughing, perhaps my left eyebrow twitches, sending invisible signals to everyone saying, "he doesn't like this trick and neither do we..."

I personally don't really like ropes or silks either but was so impressed by Barrie that I thought I'd give it a go. Okay, so the first group was, by far, the worst. They were immediately suspect of the rope. "Where did you get a white rope?" While this seems like a bazaar question it is almost laughable when you think of what my honest answer would be, "Well, the Magic Shop, of course!" When I bring out a deck of cards everyone can relate. I mean who hasn't played with cards, right? And when I ask someone to simply think of a card and then I proceed to pull their grandmother out of my back pocket (without any wallets! Using only 1 grandmother! No moves, Nothing! This will be marketed as Grandmother's Surprised!) they think, "I sure as heck can't do that with a deck of cards so Django must be a great magician." But when I pull out a rope it gets suspicious. Believe it or not, a lot of people haven't handled a rope, especially a white one. So the first group was a disaster. Which is okay. We can't blow down the houses every day. My favourite lines, throughout the day, from people who hated it:

"Where'd you get that rope?"
"Is that the trick?!" After the knot appeared.
"You can learn how to do those kind of knots in a book!"
"I can do that!"
"Your hands are moving weirdly!"
"Next."

Sigh. That said, however, many people were completely blown away. I wish I could say I changed the patter or did something different but I didn't. I performed it about 20 times and I did it exactly the same each time for testing purposes. Some loved it, some hated it. It was actually split about 50/50 (about 50 people a side). The people that loved it, however, were as impressed as I was.

Best Line:

"That's incredible. You're incredible!"

The Angry Bob Rating:

I have a co-worker (Bob) whose uncle was a magician and has a good working knowledge of how magic works. He's pretty grumpy but likes Magic Friday's because he can tell me how he figuered out how it was done...

0/5 - Angry Bob wasn't in today.

My Rating:

3/5
and I'll explain why. Whenever you read a review here at the Café you need to keep in mind that it is subjective to a lot of variables. It's not like buying a blender whether it works or it doesn't. Some people will totally destroy a trick and post a terrible review and then someone else will kill with the exact same effect. 1 man's 2/5 is another's 5/5, always remember that as you can use it greatly to your advantage. It gets a 3 from me because I don't like ropes. It's also not very impromtu (which I prefer) as I never carry rope around. That said, I'm sure many people would give this effect a 5/5, easily.

The Django Tip:

You can actually not use the certain something that Barrie uses for the finale. If you simply tie the rope as he does, WITHOUT the secret move, a false knot will appear. Simply pull your left hand out first and tighten to a point where you can just get your right hand. Voila.

Closing Thoughts:

Act II, the book, is brilliant. Actually both of Barrie's book are a must for a serious student of magic-I highly recommend them.

Whit Haydn is also a genius. Check out his website for a clip of how perfection can be achieved with Rope. I wonder how he likes Twisting the Aces...

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk