The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Step right up! :: Pitching vs. busking (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2737 Posts

Profile of sethb
I'm glad to see a separate section devoted to pitches. Although pitching and busking have much in common (drawing and holding a crowd, for example), they are also very different. With a pitch, you usually pay for your spot and thus have a right to be there, so you don't have the "move along" issue that busking sometimes raises. Also, a pitchman is selling something, as opposed to a busker, who is working for tips. A pitch also usually involves a considerable investment in inventory -- it's a mini-business.

I'm not saying pitchmen are better or worse than buskers, just that there are differences. So it's nice to have a separate slot on the Café' for pitch discussions. SETHB
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Sethb,

You did a great job of differentiating the two. It’s important to know the difference. It can make a difference with the local laws too. In some places you cannot sell without a license. In others, all performances outdoors require a permit. Where taxed, those taxes are different too.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Burntcircuit
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Burntcircuit
I do much more busking that I do pitching. Busking requires an inventory also though. I find often times if you ask to set up in an area and busk if you give the manager a free sample you have a better chance of staying.