The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Other Animals (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
N14
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
78 Posts

Profile of N14
I saw some post of Ichazod asking about bats and some others refering to skunks etc.

At home I have two pet snakes, and at some point I want to add them to my performance.

Does any of you know someone who uses snakes in their magic?

Maybe a suggestion on a routine?

What other animals are used by magicians?

N14

Posted: Jan 12, 2002 9:16am
I first reply on myself, because I know already about magicians using different kinds of small birds, duck/goose (also a bird, I know). D.C. uses a scorpion.

But I can not really come up with anything else.

N14
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Snakes ... Why does it always have to be snakes! Smile Smile Smile Smile

We can be sure that I'll never come to one of your shows! Smile Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Snakes are not my thing either....yuck! However I did see a Vegas magician produce a python once....I think it was a tip over box. Other animals, besides rabbits and ducks, that I have seen used, or know for a fact have been used:

Parrots, Cockatiels, Dogs of all sizes, ponies, elephants, tigers, lions, lynx, donkey, chicks. That would be most of them.

quack
AceOfCards
View Profile
New user
Richmond, Ca
10 Posts

Profile of AceOfCards
Jonathan David Bass uses a snake. If you have ever seen Worlds Greatest Magic IV he's on it and he produces it in his act.
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Forgot one in previous post. Same Vegas guy who produced the snake had a croc too.

quack
N14
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
78 Posts

Profile of N14
Thanks for the replies.

In the mean time I came up with alot of the animals myself.

Ok "a Vegas guy" is to vage to check out.

And about me liking snakes.

I have snakes for 10 years now. My first snake I saw was in Greece when I was about 5, I caught my first snake when I was about 9 (Hungary) and since then I’m intrigued by these leggless, mysterious animals.

I think it’s maybe a little like magic. People are just scared, amazed by things they know to little about.

For those who don’t like snakes.

Come to my show and I’ll learn you to like the unliked. (ok, I first need a show)

Hobart Tasmania Australia
160 Posts

Profile of amagician
Ali Kabah (Jerry Holmes) in Sydney Australia worked around Australia and the USA with his Yogi act, muscle control, eating light bulbs, glasses etc and did magic tricks in between the Yogi stuff.
He produced a large python from in the audience I believe. Once seen, never forgotten.
He was introduced on to an Australian version of the television show, "Opportunity Knocks" by Les Levante and did the thread from the stomach. The show was dropped after that.
Might have been better to use the python!
This is not a knock at Ali. I enjoyed their act and he and his wife were very nice people.
Have a Magic day
John Williams
http://www.ezymagic.com/
more tricks than you can shake a wand at
subscribe to our free ezine on site
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
I was watching a special on TLC last week and the special was on 'Working Animals' It featured about 3 or 4 Magicians who work with animals in their shows. One was on a birthday magician...sorry I don't recall his name, One was an illusionist 'Claude Haggerty'...and the third on was on a magician in India...again I can't recall his name, but I had never heard of him, anyway he produced a large python in what appeared to be a giant square circle, he also produced a Cobra(thats right a Cobra) out of a dove pan!
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
The cobra would work in India, but for most of us a cobra had better be fabric and on a spring and be finding a card in a snake basket. The cobra is just about as scary a snake as one can find. If one of those hooded wonders appears in a live show I am watching, this is one duck who is gonna move like roadrunner. Also, last week in the paper there was an AP story of a regular fellow on the east coast who was murdered by his "pet" python. The snake loved him too much and squeezed a bit too tight around the neck. The snake was a few feet longer that local law allowed but the fellow died as police and firefighters tried to revive him.

quack
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
No thanks, I think I'll stick with good old Rocky !!!!
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I recall seeing Melinda do some sort of illusion or escape using snakes. And I agree, I dislike the slithering little things as well. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
I used parakeetes in with my dove act years ago. Very easy to train, and lots of magical things you can do with them.

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4723 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I have an Australian Bearded Dragon that I've been thinking of incorporating somehow into my children's show. He's very docile and friendly. I think it might be fun to produce an actual "Norbert" at the end for kids to see up close...

Any old magician can pull a rabbit out of a hat!... Smile
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
A thirty-five pound rabbit to boot, which is 3 times the side of the hat!
Dennis Michael
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I have just gotten three mice, (yes they can see).
I got them as pets but...
I was also thinking of using my iguana, but it is getting to big.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
thinkofacard
View Profile
Regular user
UK
178 Posts

Profile of thinkofacard
I sometimes use my hamster 'Disco' in close-up routines. Great for scaring the ladies!!! Smile
If you can't stand the blood, get out of the slaughterhouse!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Presently I am using a guinea pig, rabbit, chinchilla and several doves. I use to have the following in my act: cat, rat, ferrot and hampsters.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
This year I am using a cornsnake, 2 ball pythons, an emperor scorpion, a rosehair tarantula, and two doves. I love using snakes - they don't have hair, they rarely go to the bathroom, they LIKE to sit in small dark places, and the kids love them. I have thought about getting a chinchilla, but I heard that they don't sweat and they can overheat very easily. Living in GA and performing during the summer may be a little to warm for the furry guys - they are cool though.