The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Stars of MAgic DVD's... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
robdp
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of robdp
Im just trying to find out that with regards to the Stars of Magic DVD's you can buy on the net, do they actually give explanations to the effects aswell?
An Example is the link below..

http://www.royal.no/miracles/stars3.htm

I tried to do a search but couldn't actually see whether the DVD's have explanations aswell as all the routines?

I am gonna buy the Paul Harris series, as I think it would be great to see him actually do some of the effects in AOA... but wanted to know whether he would explain aswell. I already own AOA 1,2,3 so thought this might go well with them?

Can anyone recommend another good card magician that aslo has a Stars of MAgic DVD??

Many thanks,
SpareribsQ
View Profile
New user
NYC
62 Posts

Profile of SpareribsQ
Yes the Stars of Magic Dvd's do include explanations to the effects.
sk8freak45672
View Profile
New user
South Florida
53 Posts

Profile of sk8freak45672
I was also thinking of picking some of these dvds up but wasnt sure if they had the explanations on them but now that I know I will probably be buying them.
The only constant is change.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5488 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I have had the Paul Harris VHS tapes for quite a while and recently got the first DVD (which has all the material from the first three VHS tapes). The quality is much improved and what a pleasure to forego all the fast forwarding and rewinding. I'm still going to splurge and get Paul's 10 DVD Astonishment set when he finally releases it, but this will tide me over for now. Every one of the "Stars" tapes has terrific material (put aside the fact that the production values aren't up to today's standards. After all, we're talking about twenty years ago), and to finally have a quality disc of Frank Garcia, for less than $20 no less, makes this long overdue DVD series release well worth the wait. Paul Harris' discs are the closest you'll come to all cards in the "Stars" series, but don't let that discourage you from checking out the other discs. I've heard that there is a complete 9 DVD set but so far I have only seen the discs sold separately. If you want a great deal on these you should check out Loomis Magic. Dennis' prices and service are top notch.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Thanks for the plug, Magiguy. Folks on the Café are going to think that you work for me. I'm thrilled that so many of the old Video tapes are now being released on DVD. There's such a wealth of great magic available.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
OK, I am usually pretty good with the TLAs (Three-Letter Acronyms) but I have seen AOA mentioned a lot, and just can't crack it. Could someone please let me know?

Michael
Sonicstabber
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
174 Posts

Profile of Sonicstabber
AoA stands for the Art of Astonishment, a 3 book series written by Paul Harris and one of the few GOLD MINES left in magic today.

It's one of the things I would be stranded with on a desert island for sure

Eddie
robdp
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of robdp
AOA stands for Art of Astonishment....

It is a 3 volume book series that Paul Harris released some years agao, and is a definate must have for any magician.... Period.

These books contain amazing tricks and routines, and have been used by practically every modern day magician Alive.
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
Cheers Eddie & Rob! Much appreciated!

I've added it to my wishlist, so I can join the ranks of the "modern day magicians alive" Smile

Michael
pierre888
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of pierre888
I just bought DVD 1-2 on Paul Harris just because it is paul Harris. Was thinking of buying Vernon Revelation but on second thought I might as well wait for True Astonishments. Regarding the stars of magic, how would you rank each DVD (if you were more into card magic)? The reason I ask is that I have limited budget and can't buy them all... so if I were to buy, say 4-5 DVDs only, which ones would it be?

Tnx for your input.

By the way, the DVD1-2 has yet to arrive Smile
pkmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Paul knight
140 Posts

Profile of pkmagic
Hi there

I have the complete boxset, and personally think it is the best buy I have made in a long time. The Paul Harris DVDs are great, and the David roth ones are excellent also (his simple coins across is fab) and each of the other DVDs has it gems.

However, on the Paul Harris DVDs (the second DVD) he mentions that he explains his Simple Switch on the first video (this switch is the fancy flourish where two cards jump from hand to hand). I cannot find the explanation anywhere? Am I being blind?

Cheers

Paul
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
Pkmagic.. I think the explanation is in silent, he performs the move and then you see it few times in slow motion how it is done, when I was trying to get it down I found to be one of the most difficult moves I have come across in card magic, I gave up, and recently I start practicing it again, and still on the way I am 80% there.

don't GIVE UP ...

ZAC
peace, love and kindness.. no terms and conditions

1001 Magic Nights Blog
www.kasrani1.wordpress.com

http://www.kasrani.com/
pkmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Paul knight
140 Posts

Profile of pkmagic
Thanks ZAC

This move has become an obsession of mine! As yousay, don't give up. Maybye by the time I'm 90 I might be halfway there.

I guess its just a knack that will eventually come through repetition.

Cheers

Paul
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
There is an ungodly amount of great magic on the first dvd. Haven't seen the second one yet. Can't believe these are so cheap.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
Pierre,

the nice thing about the series is that you can buy the ones you desire the most and add as your budget allows. As you mentioned Harris is great, but if you are into card magic, don't overlook the opportunity to view Frank Garcia and Derek Dingle. Watch for the 25% off sales from Hocus-Pocus and Hank Lee.....you can save a few bucks that way.
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
This 9 dvd set is a must purchase. You can find the whole set for $150 or less, that's about 16.60 a disc filled with KILLER material.

You get a bunch of effects per disc that are better than many single effect dvds that steal $20 or more for something you will never use. Color Stunner and Stapled by Paul Harris are worth $150 alone. The Roth material is priceless. And the stuff in between is very good, like Garcia's card stab or Dingle's cigarette through quarter. These DVD's contain something we don't see much of anymore: VALUE!

Forget the weekly onslaught of new single effect videos that are supposed to change the face of magic or teach you something that ends up being a waste repository for your hard earned cash.

My advice: Buy the whole set. This is a no brainer.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-04-08 22:06, tdowell wrote:
.....Color Stunner and Stapled by Paul Harris are worth $150 alone.

Man, is that the truth. 2 killer effects!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2006-04-08 22:06, tdowell wrote:
My advice: Buy the whole set. This is a no brainer.

Gosh, another reason why I should keep my day job...
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler