The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Grand illusion :: Balance, counterweights and corsets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
DaniOrama
View Profile
New user
Berlin and Spain
5 Posts

Profile of DaniOrama
Hi everyone!

I'm new around the forum, so here it is my first question (hope this one is the first from MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANY Smile) Does anyone know where can I find any kind information regarding balance, counterweights and corsets applied to human bodies or objets?

Thank you very much!
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Your question is a bit vaque...as far as balance and counterweights go, a physics book maybe?

A bit of friendly advice: the user profile you can use to tell us more about you is there for a reason and its polite to use it. There is also a special section for newcomers to tell more about yourself.
Sent from my Typewriter
DaniOrama
View Profile
New user
Berlin and Spain
5 Posts

Profile of DaniOrama
Thanks for the advice Smile I posted in the newcomers section yesterday and waited for today to post a question, I will edit my profile just right now, thanks again!

With my question I meant applied to magic of course. I meant if there is any book about those old illusion from the victorian era. Maybe a book about toys from that age would help me, but I don't know any titles...

I also would like to know if there is any book about corsets. Any recommendation of book with some examples?

Thank you again!
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Corsets and their potential use in magic, or just corsets in general? The first one might be near impossible to find, the second one might give you some "interesting" information as well. Could you be a little more specific about the purpose behind your question?

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
DaniOrama
View Profile
New user
Berlin and Spain
5 Posts

Profile of DaniOrama
Hi NFox

I'm interested on corsets that may support my full weight in any position (horizontal, vertical...) using only 2 free horizontal movement support points, in a place around my waist... I'm not sure because I don't know which is the best way to not stress my body to the point that the supporting device could be dangerous or very painful...

I also look for a way to support my whole body inclined with the use of this things... the existing products which use enviromental attachment don't fulfill the condition that I seek

So Right now any kind of information could be useful Smile because I'm really interested in Unnatural movement

Thanks again folks!
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
You are describing a gimmick, although your intention is still a bit vague.

It will be difficult to get responses on gimmick design here. Not only because it's got an exposure element to it, but because you're asking questions that probably only a handfull of illusion designiers have hard answers to.
Magicians with a gimmick similar to what you describe will rarely share it's workings with anybody, which is totally appropriate.

When designing gimmicks, you need to just start desiging and prototyping and eventually you will achieve your goal.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
You're in Berlin. The Germans have traditionally been extremely good at theatrical engineering, which includes flying. Get a hold of some local theater or opera people and find out who knows whom and who's done what. You might just end up talking with an expert on this material.

In Spain, try a couple of the large theme parks and see if they're doing any flying.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"