The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Going for the 'Gold' :: Telling a story (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
While performing for laymen, most magicians tend to present their magic as magicians, i.e. as a demo or an experiment. Sometimes you would tell a story like "the four jacks were imprisoned under supervision of the black kings".

But what about the performer being a part of a story himself? A magician friend (who's great in theory with more than 3000 books but hasn't touched a pack of cards in years) suggests that - especially in competitions - you should create a very special character and always try to tell a story (the thief, "waking up", Robocop, the sportsman, ...)

Henning Nelms also describes this as a goal in magic but admits that it's the exception and very difficult to create such an act. What do you think? Is a story-telling act (like in D.C.'s early specials) per se more attractive than simple demos or experiments. What do juries prefer (or don't they prefer anything at all)?

Talk talk talk,

Christof
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Chris,

It's my favourite kind, but yes, it's very difficult. I'm working on my FISM act and trying to do this very thing. I like the approach because when done right, it is very natural and smooth. I also think that many unnatural moves magicians have to do in order to perform some "dirty work", can suddenly be quite natural if there is a story. Like I said, it really is a bear to do.

Sable

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I'm taking part in a competition next year and I'm creating a character.

And yes, I know that this thread is the first one ever in this forum. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Personally, I like to hear stories from a personal perspective (first person) much more than hearing "I once heard about a man who..." It could be as simple as "I walked into the strangest antique store the other day, and on the table by the back door I noticed an odd-looking object..."

On the other hand, unless several effects are tied together in a routine with a compelling story line, strings of stories, personal or not, can quickly become boring and confusing.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Stories give the audience a chance to connect with the experience seemingly being felt by the Magi/character onstage.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
I have done that ever since reading Jay Sankey's books on comedy and the art of the monologue.

Though I don't enter many competions, my programs are very autobiographic.
The easiest character to play for me, is me.

Of course being me, I bring in the harmonica's and ukulele's occassionally.

With little preparation, I entered Ring 129's Stage Contest for the year.
The results were as good as the preparation.

On the other hand when I presented at the yearly close up contest, I used an act more true to what I share with the public. The results were much better. The theme was changes in my life over time.

Example I used to have trouble evening up my sideburns as a teenagers.
Now I have trouble evening up the hair on the sides of my bald spot.
The above shared while miming a razor.

The razor becomes the one to help me produce coins, which you guessed it morphed/changed first to english pennies then to chinese. (or was it the other way around...yes that's it, because the end made reference to the Olympics, which were in England at the time.

Harris
still 2 old to know everything
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u