The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Now that’s funny! :: T&R Toilet Paper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1025 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
I seem to have had a senior moment here and need some help with my memory. I am looking for the Torn and Restored Toilet Paper effect that I thought was published by Mike Caveney in MagiComedy...but apparently not. Or if so, then I seriously overlooked it and I need someone to tell me what page it's on. I would swear it was a Caveney idea because I remember seeing him perform it several times on stage.

Essentially a TP roll is thrown into the audience, members from the front row each tear off a square as they pass it down the front row then finally the remaining roll is tossed back up on stage. Each piece is then handed down the row towards the end where they are gathered by the last person. In the process of retrieving the bundle, the performer cops a restored strip from a banker's clip.

Without going into more detail, I just need someone to point me in the right direction to finding that in a book or lecture note somewhere.

Thanks, and stay clean.

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
Eric Buss
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Eric Buss
Hey Scott, How's it going?

The effect is definitely Mike Caveney's... I saw him do it at the Castle a few months back. I thought it would be in MagiComedy too... Sorry, no help.

Eric
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1025 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Hello Eric,

Everything's great here in Texas as far as my eyes can see Smile

Yes, I know that Mike has been doing that for years and years. I too have seen him do it at magic conventions several times. I am putting together some lecture notes on being a Master of Ceremonies (Masters Class, the MC Book) with a bunch of ideas on introducing performers. I want to include an idea of having letters on each strip of paper. When they are restored, it will spell out the name of the next performer. Oops, Smile I guess I just tipped one of my ideas. Smile

I should be having a One Man Parade coming out in the Linking Ring in a few months with some ideas...but not that one.

All the best,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17421 Posts

Profile of joseph
What's next, linking toilet seats?.... Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1025 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
The potty never stops Smile

Owen Anderson
View Profile
Loyal user
A sturdy fence needs at least
233 Posts

Profile of Owen Anderson
You are looking for Caveney's IDEAS lecture notes/booklet.
Page 18: The Toilet Tissue Issue
Owen Anderson
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1025 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Eureka! That's it. I knew he wrote it up somewhere and I had it in my library. Thanks, Owen. That sets my mind at ease now.

yours,
Scott

nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read awhile back that it's a giant "gypsy thread" idea...?
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1025 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Quote:
On 2006-01-03 16:08, nathanallen wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read awhile back that it's a giant "gypsy thread" idea...?

Not really. In this routine, you toss out the TP roll into the audience. You do not do that in the traditinoal handling of the Gypsy Thread trick. You cannot toss out the spool of thread or box of waxed dental floss for a spectator to tear off the pieces you need. The traditional method requires the spool (or box of dental floss) to be handled only by the magus.

yours,
Scott