The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ring Flight - Problem with Opening the Clip - How to Overcome? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
zhuanan
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of zhuanan
Hi Guys:

I understand there is a recent thread about "Ring Flight - How to Get the Ring On" but that thread centers on "how do you all go about getting the ring on the clip without anyone noticing?"

I have another problem in using my reel version of ring flight which is different from the above. Would appreciate if someone could contribute some ideas in overcoming the problem which I will be stating here.

Basically what happens is that the clip which captures the Ring is so stiff that it is extremely difficut for me to open it. In order to open it, I need to use both left and right hand to open it and that of course will raise suspicion from the eyes of the spec - which is not advisable.

If I were to use one hand to open the clip (I use my right hand), most often the clip requires a lot of strenght and when I exerts more strength, the position of the clip will "turn to the left/right", which I then need to turn the clip "straight" before I can exert pressure again on one of the parts of the clip so that the clip will create an opening.

Because of this problem, I have not had the chance of performing any reel version of Ring Flight effects, although I dream to perform one.

Please advice people, I have am out of idea.
Thanks!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Zhuanan,

Return to the other thread and you'll see my descrition of a technique for using both of your hands in way that will not raise suspicion. Alternatively, use a different type of clasp. Although I haven't seen it, I've heard that the one Whit Hayden sells is first class and is easy to handle.

Larry
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
I start with the ring flight in my back pocket. When I get ready I ask to borrow a ring and starting patting down my body as if I am looking for a ring myself. I grab my clip and then put that hand in my front pocket and relax. when the spectator gives the ring I smile and say thank you and turn and walk away. I clip it on when I turn away. The spectators are reacting and saying like" Hey" or just laughing. I am all set to to go. I have plenty of time to orient the clip in my hand while its in my pocket to get a smooth load on the ring as I turn around, just takes a second.

I love the idea of using the Jewelers loupe Larry, going to get me one as soon as I can. I just finished reading Derek Dingle's routine is his last lecture notes and love his thinking on it. The jewelers loupe would fit real nicely into that routine. Dingle does his routine without a jacket , its a beauty!
zhuanan
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of zhuanan
Quote:
On 2005-12-23 21:12, Larry Davidson wrote:
Zhuanan,

Return to the other thread and you'll see my descrition of a technique for using both of your hands in way that will not raise suspicion. Alternatively, use a different type of clasp. Although I haven't seen it, I've heard that the one Whit Hayden sells is first class and is easy to handle.

Larry

Hi Larry:

I have tried using your method (pretend to have the jeweller's loupe on my eye).
This is really great!!!

I think, the problem does not lie with the method of hooking the ring, it is the problem with my Ring Flight because it will take me about 15 seconds to hook the ring to the clasp (the clasp is very very stiff)

In addition, in the process of hooking and unhooking the ring, I could see scratches being made on my plastic ring (for practice I use plastic Ring). I don't think it is advisable to use thig Ring Flight unless I could change the clasp.

Does anyone here know if Whit is still selling the wonderful clasp mentioned by Larry? And could someone please tell me how could Whit be contacted?

Thanks!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Zhuanan, the clasp is available here.

Larry
zhuanan
View Profile
Veteran user