The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: What happened, was this... :: Performing For Pro's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Magi:

I had gig Saturday night at a spot in SoCal, and had the pleasure of working with a very personable Magician that night. But what really set the night off was an experience I had with a couple of pro's I recognized at the gig.

They were guests of the corporation throwing the shin-dig, and I recognized them because we've chatted at various Magic spots around town. They're both well known in the local Magic community. Did either of them volunteer to "show me a trick?" No, although either of them could have easily overshadowed my chops. Did they call out to everyone within earshot that they knew how that was done? No, though certainly they knew how everything I was doing should have been done.

What they did instead was watch me perform during the lulls when no one else would, politely shilling and graciously offering encouragement with their smiles and applause. I won't embarrass these two by naming them, but T & K, you guys are a class act all the way. Thanks! Smile

Leland
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
That's the proper way to act at a magic performance. I wish more people would learn to put away the pack of cards during intermission, before the show and after the show! Same goes for rubber bands, unless they're gonna use 'em to pop themselves in the eye or mouth. The worst time I've seen this is during a lecture (from a PRO, nonetheless) at IBM ring meetings. Sigh...

Steve Thomas
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I agree, no magician should ridicule, harrass, interupt, or try to upstage another magician in his performance. Even the top pros are scared stiff when they are out there. All the encouragement they can give is what is required. Yes, I knew how Lance, and Mac do their tricks, but I didn't even bend over to my wife and tell her how it was done. I just applauded loudly and energetically, laughed at jokes and enjoyed the excellent performances. I recently saw a local magician doing a kids show at the local mall, waited til he was done, went up , introduced myself and told him how very much I enjoyed his show. Yeah we talked magic a few minutes, but we all need encouragement. Sometimes , we as magicians get caught up in the "technique" and forget the preformance when it comes to watching other magicians. I never get more aggrivated than when I hear some magi in the audience moan "there is a better way to do that effect" or "I'd never do it that way". Not appropriate behavior at all.
I remember Uncle Harry praising my performance and encouraging me to continue to practice and learn when he watched me, at the ripe old age of 6, probably do the worst cup and balls presentation he ever saw in his life. Let me tell you, at 6 to have the premier magican of the world tell you that you did good and encourage you to practice and learn more goes a long way. Now that is professionalism.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
Absolutely true!

If you have to tear someone else down to rise in your own sight, you are definitely a person of very little character.

A profession can speak kindly of everyone, without being dishonest.
The Doctor Knows.....