The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... :: Clinical vs Stage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I seldom post on this forum as I do not use hypnosis in my show, and very little in my clinical practice other than relaxation and visualization. I also know there are a lot of differences in peoples training & backgrounds. I am curious how many of you are straight stage hypnotists and how many of you do clinical work and stage hypnosis on the side.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Although clinical training is certianly helpfull when doing stage most don't do it.

I have never done clinical work, though I could, only stage work by my choice.

I have seen most clinical hypnotists who do stage to lack the necessary stage skills to be entertaining. And most stage guys lack the ability to do effective clinical work. ( I certianly lack the ability to do clinical work ).

The scary ones Frank are the stage hypnotists who do clinical work on the side! (it happens way more than you may think)
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Thanks for an honest answer Danny. Maybe your last remark is what is making it so difficult to get answers.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well leave it to me to put my foot right in my mouth!

yea all the statements are why it is tough to get answers. Guys and gals figure it helps the income when they cross over.....and it does......it is just that historically people seem to be better at one than the other.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
HypnotizeAmerica
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of HypnotizeAmerica
I got started in doing clinical stuff (stop smoking, lose weight only) and then started doing stage. I only do the stage stuff now because the money is better, and the headaches are less. I think having the clinical background helps me sell my BOR products more (on stop smoking, etc). That being said I have helped tons of people improve their self esteem, get over a fear or phoiba right in front of a packed house during my stage show.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I don't do stage hypnosis anymore or therapy but I did both at one time. I don't think you can say becasue you do stage you can't do the other. Its down to the proper training and continuous learning needed to keep up with the latest developments.

I still use hypnosis in the form of sales and persuasion courses for corporates because the money is better asnd I find it more interesting. After 18 years being involved with hypnosis I am still studying and learning new techniques all the time. And that's the key to anything. If you want to be good you have to put in the graft and expense..

Shrink
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Shrink you missed the point......in never said you can't.......I said in general most who do are poor at one........and I am right......

and anyone who is helping releive fears and phobias on stage is not all that entertaining......clinical work by its nature is nontheatrical in tone.....sorry but you are not getting huge laughs and amazement when someone is talking about being afraid of snakes! as far as BOR sales the only ones I sell are the show DVD and the shirts and pics........not necessary to have stop smoking.

Reason being is it comes to behavior AFTER they leave the show weather it works or not. Why leave them with a bad taste in their mouth when it dosn't work (entirley their fault mind you)? Do you think they will actually come back regularly to see you when you took them for an extra $25 for a cd that didn't help?

your making the point for me! This is not indended to be a hotly contested issue. I was answering Franks question is all.......lets not get everyone mad....
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Well said Danny,

In essence I am just doing a survey only without the proper software. I am just curious. I hope no one reads anything nefarious into this and chooses not to respond.

Frank Tougas
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
These are opinions guys........GENERAL ones......not statements of fact against anyone......please take no offense.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Danny you miss my point. First of all you should never mix therapy with stage work they are both separate things. Secondly you should work like mad to be above "most" in any area of your professional life.

My point is strive to be the best in whatever you do therapy or stage or both makes no difference just work to be the best. I could never be described as "general" in anything I do...I am usually ahead of "most" of the crowd in whatever I do. You can be both a very good (if not excellent)stage worker and therapist if you're willing to put in the work and resources.

Shrink

I take your point on the generalities.....and of course there was no offence youve said nothing that could be seen that way!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Shrink of course your right in endevouring to be best....I agree

BUT the way I do stage work I travel 50 weeks a year......would be no time for clinical practice.....simple enough

The post I mentioned was when someone said they help tons of people get rid of fears and phobias and improve self esteem right in front of a packed house every night!

Not possible.........you know it and I know it.......it would be boring as can be to the audience even if it was possible to do that type of GROUP helping....

I happen to agree wholeheartedly with you on it being 2 seporate issues!

Here we go through the cycles of too many hypnotists the same as we have too many comedy clubs.......like I said it all seems to even out over the long haul.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Watching someone do therapy on stage is, for most audiences, about as exciting as watching paint dry. Save therapy for the proper setting, the therapist's office or for house calls to the client. It has no place on the stage and, if done poorly, is an invitation to an abreaction that will just lead to more problems.

With no intake, no background on the problem and no control over the environment, doing a therapeutic intervention on stage is asking for trouble.

My opinion, other's mileage may vary, of course.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow someone to CUT TO THE CHASE for me .........Lee I thank you.....

and am happy YOU said it because I would have mucked it up something fierce and caused an unhappy thread.........thanks again for saving me!!!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Well, I guess we will just have to bandage up that poor sliced chase!

:lol:

Happy holidays, Danny!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Lee happy happy.

and the chase gets cut a LOT with you I have seen over the years

it is your most endearing quality if you ask me`
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
deverett
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of deverett
Although I started with a stage hypnosis booklet, I tended to use hypnosis for theraputic purposes rather than entertainment.

I'd do entertainment hypnosis at parties for a laugh, but strangely never thought of doing it on stage even though I spent most of my youth working on stages.

I simply didn't want to perform shows like the kind I had seen in clubs here in Australia and I already had enough work.

I'm moving into that area now though, but not in the traditional stage hypnosis format.
GraytScot
View Profile
New user
Dark side
18 Posts

Profile of GraytScot
I went to school for clinical hypnosis. I mostly just play withthe stage stuff at party.
Professional Reality Bender