The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Primer on wood? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I am going to be painting a square circle I just finished and was curious as to which primer to use on wood. I normally use KILZ primer/sealer but got sick of the tremendous amount of sanding to take the texture out of it... I plan to use Krylon paint for the colors and base coats. I would use sign-shop paint;however, I am gunless right now... and would like to avoid using a brush as well... awe...the apartment life! Anyway, What primer has worked for you to reduce the amount of coats after the primer is laid...? Any advice would help!

Bryan
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Bryan,
Fisrt off, do NOT use Krylon paint! It is garbage. It has a very low pigment content giving you very thin coats and an overall bad finish.
The best "off the shelf" spray paint is Rust-Oleum brand. Use their Automotive Primer making sure to use the Gray primer for light colored final top coats or the Dark Gray Primer for dark colored final top coats. I have tips posted in the Café giving extensive details on how to prep and apply spray paints. Here is the link.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......6&22
Hope this helps Smile
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Thanks Chance for the heads up on the Krylon paint. Unfortunately for me it was two days and four cans too late.......ARGHHHH. I thought maybe my aim was off when I was painting, 'cause the more paint I used the less it seemed to be covering. Still love the Wacky Worm...thanks again!!!

John
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I use 'Bin' paint primer and have use it under Krylon and Rust-Olem.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi:

I have been very happy with Krylon paints, including the Primer. But I've had good results with Rustoleom too.

Ron
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7677 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I must admit that I have good luck with Krylon but I mainly paint on metal that is not so porous.

It is nice in a lot of ways, as customers can always find the paint for quick touchups. It also used to match most of the colors on older illusions (light blue, yellow, red). I find their Ultra Flat Black hard to beat.

But I will have to do some experimenting with the Rustoleum.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Deke Rivers
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Deke Rivers
I've also had limited success with Krylon. I've used Rustoleum -- and even the hardware store version of rustoleum (Tru-Value brand) -- with better success thatn Krylon.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Thanks for the advice guys!
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
I love "Painter's Touch" it's by Rustoleum, Home Depot sells it.
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
Dave Lewis
View Profile
New user
Anaheim, California
83 Posts

Profile of Dave Lewis
We used to paint graphics on trucks with very short nap rollers and One Shot lettering enamel, which contains LEAD, but it flows out and stays glossy in full sunlight for YEARS. If you don't overload the roller and take your time, it looks like it's been sprayed. It requires no clear coat. It's the same paint used on outdoor signs so it's meant to be durable. Just don't let anyone teethe on the props and don't make a habit of letting it soak into your skin.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I thought I heard that lead-based paints were banned in the 1970's? What did I miss?

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company