The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: Youngest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
Just wondering about any "official" records on who may be the youngest in various types of escapes. I've taught a magic program at a camp for several years and had 10 and 11 year olds giving a stage performance of the suspended straight jacket escape (legit - nongimmicked) When I came home, a local teen was claiming to be one the youngest... I search the web for some legit records and found none. We've done other escapes with the kids at the camp...just wondering if there is any official records on this type of thing..
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
375 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
Yes but what size were the jackets Smile

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The youngest escape artist I have ever heard of was 8 years old.

Molly Ann Klein, the Magic of MAK, (Maryland) performed a full escape act at 8 years old. It included a stock escape, chain escape, Locked in a box escape (handcuffed and tied in a bag), and a pillory escape. Her finale was an underwater (swimming pool) chain escape.

Molly was the first MAES Larry White Memorial Youth Close-up contest winner when she was 9! Interestingly, she was a full member of MAES when she was 8 (they did not have an age requirement in those days not believing that a youngster would actually join). At her first MAES convention she signed up to compete in the close-up contest. There was no youth division that year and she competed against adults. She scored higher than many of the adult performers. It was because of her entrance in the competition that MAES started the youth competition the following year. Sadly Larry White died and the competition was named to memorialize him (a long time and very active member of MAES).

She is now 22 and a college graduate continuing her education becoming a Physician’s Assistant. Sadly, she does not perform magic anymore. Maybe, like many of us, she will return to magic when she gets a little older.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
I love collecting stories like that. Even better to get actual articles or photos to share with other young magicians. If you can direct me to such...please do. This should be in the SAM archieves somewhere. As for the size of straight jackets I used...I used to work for a hospital that let me buy their old ones (really cheap). I found one had "Butte County Jail" stamped on it because they got it from the old jail house when it closed down (prob. 30 years ago)...I think it was small to begin with, but it has been washed and used a few times and I think had shrunk a bit.
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Molly was written up in the Linking Ring following her win. I haven't a clue which volume.
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
My son Mitchell is learning at the moment. He takes it very seriously, and will be ready for his first proper performance quite soon at his school. He already does a few things at Beavers (scout group).

He is currently working on ...

1. Mail bag escape with Sib Chain handcuffs
2. 30' chain escape with about 8 padlocks (50' is too long, and regular chain is too heavy for him)!

He is anxiously awaiting the time when his wrists are big enough for handcuffs to fit!

One of the many things he wants for Christmas is a strait-jacket (non-gimmicked), so I'm arranging for someone to make him one!

He is 6 years old - and mad as a hatter!

James.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Wow! You have to love a kid with those interests! Keep him motivated and safe. I am looking forward to hearing more about this young performer!
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
If you get some photo's on a website of him, I'd love to see them and share them with other young magicians.
billswondershow.com
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Hello all,

I must say, the New Year has me brimming with pride. My daughter, Shaina, who is 4 years old, has always played with our collection of cuffs and locks, ever since she was 2 years old. She has mastered the Hamburg 8 cuffs and can get out of, (actually slipping out of), a variety of other cuffs. She has even opened a number of plug 8 cuffs with the original key (no small feat because I have seen many adults who find this hard to figure out) and can even shim open some simple cuffs.

Well, on New Year's Eve, I was alone at home with her and asked her if she wanted to try and get out of a straight jacket. Having no real idea what one was, she said "yes!" right away. Anyway, I buckled her into a medium sized Posey jacket with the side loops. Being too small for the jacket, I had to wind the arms around her little frame twice before I could buckle them together.

Lo and behold, with a little bit of instruction and a ton of encouragement, she managed to get first one arm out of one sleeve and out the neck hole and then the other! She then slipped the jacket down over her legs and was out! Even though the jacket was too big for her, it was rather secure once the arms were wound round and fastened. I was impressed to say the least!

And, last night some friends dropped over
and she insisted on showing them the new escape she had learned. Again she got out in a little over 2 minutes. They all laughed and thought it was cool and she obviously enjoyed performing it (she wanted to do it over and over again!). My gosh... what have I done? I think I have created a pint sized female escape artist! I should get in touch with the folks at Guinness Worlds Records.

Anyway, I just thought everyone may get a kick out of reading this. Posted with best
regards to all from a rather proud father, Steve Santini.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
WOW! Leave it to you, Steve, to be breeding the youngest escape artists! I can't wait till she can read and write. I could see it now, Barni meets Bean Cobbs! Congratulations, looks like you'll have a proud and fun future/father hood!
someguy
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of someguy
Sounds like she's off to a good start. Keep us updated on her new escapes.
magic_joe
View Profile
New user
Colorado
7 Posts

Profile of magic_joe
Hey all!

I’m new here, and this is my first post.

I’ve been wanting to post this for a bit, but didn't know where to do it. This looks like as good a place as any. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

Anyway, let me first introduce myself. My name is Joe Seago, and I'm a 16 year-old magician out in Colorado. I currently attend meetings at my local SYM assembly, and am an active SYM member. The leader has helped me a great deal in the way of magic.

I am posting in the Escape section because ever since I became fond of the art of magic when I was wee tall, my favorite kind has always been escape magic. Seeing things such as David Copperfield escaping from Alcatraz and Lance Burton escaping from a straitjacket has always inspired me.

My most prized tricks that I own are my escape ones. Some highlights include a gimmicked Ronjo straitjacket and a 7' tall Ronjo mailbag. (With a gimmicked metal bar.) Both escapes are very entertaining for me when I perform them.

All of these young escape artists are deeply inspiring, and their parents should be very proud.

I was wondering if any of you expert artists can give me some tips or point me in the right direction, etc. to become a true escape artist. I love magic and love performing all forms of it. What I really want, however, is to become a full-fledged escape artist someday. I want to be able to escape from an ungimmicked legit straitjacket quickly, pick all sorts of locks, escape from chains, etc.

Where should I start? Any books or movies anyone would recommend? Thank you ever so much in advance.

Oh, and one more thing. Billwonder, is your magic camp only in California? It sounds really neat and I would be interested in any information pertaining to it that you have. I don’t know how old the camp goes up to; is 16 too old?

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to introduce myself along with the questions I had. Thanks again and I look forward to interacting with you guys and being a part of what looks like such a great website.
-Magic Joe

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Check Out My Website!--
http://www.magicpalace.shorturl.com
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Joe, I was wondering who beat me to the magic palace domain name! In the words of the riddler, DRATS, BATMAN!
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
What great stories!

Joe, the camp that I worked at is not a
"Magic Camp" but a "Sports & Arts" Camp. It's actually in Pennsylvainia on the boarder of New York. Magic was just one of the offerings.

I had four other magicians in my department and we held 6 one hour classes a day (everyday). If you check out my website you can see photo's (My site is below. The camp is at http://www.islandlake.com

Brad Henderson started the program there many years ago and with his influence many other magicians have taught there such as Simon Lovell (it's in his "Simon Says" book) and Jeff McBride. Since then a number of nearby camps have tried to copy it, but they have never come close to what is offered there. Some of the kids who have been to Magic Camp said this experience was in some ways both broader and more intense (ages go to about 16 years old). The overlap of Circus was great when it came to special riggings for the kids safety.

Each year I like to share video or news of the magic other young people are doing. Thanks everyone for posting your stories here!
billswondershow.com
magic_joe
View Profile
New user
Colorado
7 Posts

Profile of magic_joe
Wow how neat!

Sounds like a fun camp.

What a dream to learn magic from Jeff McBride! Thanks for the info!

Sorry, Dr. Z.! I only got the short url name though, I don't know who got the .com
-Magic Joe

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Check Out My Website!--
http://www.magicpalace.shorturl.com