The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The side walk shuffle :: Making a street Table top (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Getting leggy in the UK is an interesting one. The Ammar table requires "Angle Top Plates" (Waddell) which are angled machined plates which can have table legs screwed into them.....sadly they don't seem to exist in the UK (or they may be called something else).

I am thinking of using metal sockets for towel rail and just sticking the legs in these, and using a camera monopod for the third leg to get round the working on a hill problem. If I do this however then the legs will not be angled and I wonder how important this is.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Danny
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-04-13 14:47, Rotten wrote:
Ed, you can have most any hardware or lumber store make all of your cuts for you. Home Depot or Lowe's will do it. It may take some time to get it done so don't be in a hurry. After that a few nails and some glue, if you have ever used scissors, paper and glue I bet you could build a lot more that you realize. The cuts are the hard part. When I was on the road and didn't have my tools I used this service often and built some amazing things.

Having a plan, like Ammar's pdf, makes life so much easier than having to figure it all out on your own. It's like building a model once the cuts are made and the plan tells you what to have cut.

Thanks for sharing his table Nate.

I went to Home Depot. They would make cuts, but only horizontally. No 45 degree cuts.

I think you seriously underestimate my ability to really screw things up with wood and glue. I did just have a friend cut me some plywood and 1X2s that he had lying around and I was able to nail them together into a workable table top (+ three shelves) for my Dragon Nite Club table. (I've had that thing for years. I lost the table top and shelves through a series of circumstances that I won't go into here because I'll start crying.) I was even able to drill holes in one of the shelves to fit the nails from the frame into. But I was stunned that it worked and I'm not certain I want to try it on a regular basis.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Nate Green
View Profile
New user
Working my way past
75 Posts

Profile of Nate Green
Ed,

Glad to hear that you put something together. I hope that it works for you.

-Nate
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
It's good. It doesn't have mitered edges, not that that matters because I didn't actually measure or cut the wood. I measured the dimensions of my Dragon Nite Club table frame and made a (apparently pretty good) guess on what the 1X2's would have to be as well as the top of the table and the three shelves. I didn't screw up driving the nails to put the 2X4s together, and I didn't screw up drilling the holes for the bracing on the bottom shelf. But that's as far as I'm willing to go.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
347 Posts

Profile of The Cardfather
Anyone able to identify this table. Simple but clever folding method.

Click here to view attached image.
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
347 Posts

Here it is unfolded. No table top found. Initials T.W. in the logo.

Click here to view attached image.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
That's very similar to my nite club table with a different design. I think my table also overlaps as opposed to this one which seems to meet in the middle. (Which would make it easier to carry.)
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
347 Posts

Nite club table is definitely what it appears to be. Kind of a sparkle vinyl cover.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I remember seeing that decoration (the shield and the diagonal design) on a drawing for a table in an old Tannen's catalog.

Can't seem to find it now though.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Quote:
On 2011-04-06 11:24, solrak29 wrote:
Hey Mario,

Is the the same one you showed me in Vegas during your busking school?

Hay Pal
Just noticed your qwestion and the answer is no, that was a lot simpler one with out the frame.
I now use table top with out frames for my take on the Cups and Balls, which reqwiers me to have a table without boarders.

Mario
Bobert
View Profile
New user
Stephenville TX
88 Posts

Profile of Bobert
Hey Mario Thanks for sharing your knowledge! I was able to work on making real professional table. Luckily I was able to borrow tools from a friend who makes armor for medieval re-enactments and everyone in the shop wanted to help with my table. I don't know what ya'll think but I think it's a very sexy table.
Here are some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63704900@N0......tostream

hopefully the link works correctly.

-Bobert
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
That's a good job well done. I have shown a quite a few folks now hands on how to make these tables tops.
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
For those of us looking to make this type of table and don't have picture frames lying around, do forget to look in places like good will. I was at one yesterday (Picked up a suitcase I plan on making into a table for my kids show, and found a whole lot of different size frames for like a few buck.

Just a thought.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Thanks for the wonderful thread
instead of trying to sell us an
overpriced table guy.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I know Wally World has 16X20 frames for about $8.00 or $9.00. If I get the bonus for second place fund raising for Children's Miracle Network, I might pick that up.
augiemagic
View Profile
Regular user
Overland Park, KS
162 Posts

Profile of augiemagic
I just put one of these together because my tiny portable table hasn't been cutting it lately. Sick of bending over to pick up balls that have rolled off.

Also, If you're using a waiters tray stand, use velcro to attach the table top to the stand. Keeps the top from wobbling and blowing around, and comes apart easily. I got some sticky-backed velcro and stuck it to mine, then stapled the velcro on so it wouldn't peel off.
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Ed also check out any good will shops. I have seen the size you mentioned for 5 dollars and less.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2011, The Cardfather wrote:
Here it is unfolded. No table top found. Initials T.W. in the logo.

Looks a little like the table that TOWN HOUSE put out in the early '50s. (TOWN HOUSE: Bev Taylor & Don Lawton -- St. Louis, MO.) I had one in the '50s. TW might be TOMMY WINDSOR (Marietta, Ohio) old pro. who wrote a column in TOPS.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK