The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Is my mercuring an original? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
Not too sure where to post this...

I just opened my mercuring and the ring is made of aluminum with machining marks. the Instructions look photocopied and are just stapled in the corner.

The overall look is 'cheap, copied and ripped off'

Can someone who has this let me know if this really is the quality of the official marketed trick.

Thanks
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
jfkkraemer
View Profile
Elite user
SoCal
481 Posts

Profile of jfkkraemer
Contact or email the creator, I'm positive you will have the answer from him.

Jeff
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
I was hoping for a quick response, I imagine that Jay would take a day or so to respond.

If it is a fake then I will certainly pass all the info I have to Jay.

At the moment I feel cheated, I'm just not sure who's had me.
acmp<><

Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Where did you purchase it?

Peter
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3635 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I recieved one exactly like the one you described. Looked very cheap. The several that I saw were the same. I think that is just the way they are made.
jfkkraemer
View Profile
Elite user
SoCal
481 Posts

Profile of jfkkraemer
Call another dealer on the phone that carries it, I'm quite sure you can compare notes and make an educated guess until you here from Jay.

Jeff
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
Can I venture a guess? Thank you. You bought it from bird town magic, formaly known as penguin magic. Correct?
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
To my shame I got it from eBay. I know, I should know better, but I couldn't find it anywhere else.

I've done some more searching and it looks like you buy the method, routine and 'demo' set of rings.

Still, if someone has a known good version I'd be interested to know how there's is presented.
acmp<><

Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Mecuring comes with a DVD in a professional produced case. The instructions are a large fold out sheet printed sheet in full color.

If you you have zeroxed instructions that are stapled you have bought a fake version.
Sadly the rings that come with the orginal are cheap aluminum rings. I would consider them as sample rings. I plan on going to a store and buying two regular inexpensive rings and gaffing the ring as Sanky shows in his sample.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Mercuring (the older version) does not come with DVD instructions. Sankey recently put out the DVD version. His older version came in a plastic bag with one ring and one gimmick as well as stapled instructions with bad drawings on them. It also has a color front slip of paper that says mercuring. I am tempted to say that you did get an original.
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
Thanks for all the comments.

I'm fairly sure I have an original version now, I'm just disappointed with the quality of the instructions, packaging and rings.

That said I believe that with some practice and a decent ring (I normally only wear my wedding ring, so a new one needs to be gaffed) this should get some good reactions. I'll play around with my 'practice set'

Again, thanks.
acmp<><

Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
The nice thing about Sankey's new products is that not only do they come with dvds but the instructions are also printed on the back of the cover art.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
I was happy with my original copy. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a good ring. It might not even be the kind of ring I wear. With the cheap aluminum, I get the secret and can get my own rings in the style I like. Like my wedding ring for example.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I also like Sankey's "grassroots" approach. I enjoy making the props myself.
I personally think Sankey has some of the best, commercial magic around.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Along the same line there is a guy selling Knock Off Blizzards... the tip off is the poor quality of the card box.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com