The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Red Hot Mama question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
profgizmo
View Profile
New user
Florida
54 Posts

Profile of profgizmo
When you are doing the Red Hot Mama card trick for tables, do you change your different colored card, or use the same one all night? I am planning on adding this to my set as it is a powerful trick, but I am concerned that other tables will see that the second card is always the same. I hate to carry other cards, as it will slow up the reset, but it might be the best option. What do you do in this situation?
magic hands
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
176 Posts

Profile of magic hands
I have done this trick numerous times with different people looking and no one has figured out why it is always the same card. Go figure. Smile
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
I always keep 3 spare cards, as I did have it questioned once or twice about the card being the same.
Probably not really necessary, but I do it.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2000 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I do Red Hot Mama when table hopping and no one has ever noticed that the second card is the same every time. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.

If it bothers you at all, you should have a couple of sets of magic that you can perform. If you rotate through the sets as you go from table to table, there shouldn't be much chance of anyone seeing a repeat performance anyway.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
I believe that Michael Close has a version of Red Hot Mama that utilizes a free choice. I saw it the other day when I was perusing through my "Magic...LIVE!" notes.
BarryRice
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
88 Posts

Profile of BarryRice
I definitely agree with the idea of having several different sets to perform. If you rotate your sets as you change tables, you will not have the problem of people noticing things like similar cards. It will also keep the spectators on their toes and keep them from knowing what to expect in any case.
"The magic of the tongue is the most dangerous of all spells."
-Edward George Earle Lytton Bulwer-Lytton

http://www.amazingbarry.com
DanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
Edgewater, Maryland USA
139 Posts

Profile of DanTheMagicMan
Can someone explain to me the effect of "Red Hot Mama"? I am not familiar with the trick (or at least not by that name). Thanks!
Dan The Magic Man
e-mail:[email]info@familymagicshows.com[/email]
web site:www.familymagicshows.com
MagicEvents.org - View or subscribe to upcoming magic events and birthdays.
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Couldn't you do a Mexican Turnover with the card on the table and thus allow a totally free choice?

Just an idea. I like Gary Kurtz' variation on in this theme. You can find on the "Let's get flurious"-video.

Best, chris
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
466 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
I carry around the 8 card brain wave in a packet wallet and if I need to switch the card out I rotate it with the ones from that packet trick.You will have 5 different cards to use if you need to all night. But like most of the posts, I use the same card at every table and no one has ever said anything.
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
I personally do a version in which it is sensible to give the card away as a souvenir.

In fact, in Oct of 1999, I performed it at the request of a server at a restaurant I did a short stint at. The performance was with another server whom he wanted to get to.. well.... get to know a little better. Smile The stranger was given out after as a souvenir.

I got a wedding invitation in the mail from the two of them about a year ago, all thanks to RHM and a stranger souvenir!
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
secondbaseman
View Profile
Loyal user
Amsterdam
225 Posts

Profile of secondbaseman
DanTheMagicMan,
The effect goes like this:

You let a spec pick a card. It is returned to the deck. You let him touch the deck or do some magic wamabama, and you fan through the deck to see that one card has changed color. It is the spec's card. You place that card onto the table or in his hand and you shuffle the deck, asking him to call stop. When he calls stop, you show him another card. That is lost in the deck. You let him touch the deck again or do some magic wamabama, and you fan through the deck for the next color changed card. You won't find one. But, wait a minute! The card on the table or in is hand has changed into that card.

Hope you understand it.
Niels
DanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
Edgewater, Maryland USA
139 Posts

Profile of DanTheMagicMan
Thanks Niels,

Do you know if this is an effect from a book/video or is it a dealer item? Thanks.
Dan The Magic Man
e-mail:[email]info@familymagicshows.com[/email]
web site:www.familymagicshows.com
MagicEvents.org - View or subscribe to upcoming magic events and birthdays.
Derek_R
View Profile
New user
UK
5 Posts

Profile of Derek_R
Dan,

I learned this effect from Ammar's Easy To Master Card Miracles vol. 1 (video). I would imagine it's also in a book somewhere. There are no gaffs involved.

Regards,

Derek
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Our own Scott Guinn has a version in his lecture notes "Great Scott It's Card Magic" called "Red Hot Momma's Lips." A great variation that you will use all the time.

Contact Scott here at the Café at: scottguinn@themagiccafe.com

I also have a version called "RHM Revisited"
which you can find in the Secret Sessions area.

Jeff
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
secondbaseman
View Profile
Loyal user
Amsterdam
225 Posts

Profile of secondbaseman
DanTheMagicMan

I also learned this trick from the Easy to Master Card Miracles DVD. I don't know if there is a book or something else.

Niels
mtmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of mtmagic
Red Hot Mama is a great effect and you guys should check out Whit Hayden's routine called The Chicago Surprise. It uses the classic force face up, yes face up! If your face up force fails, there is an out that I think is as strong or stronger.
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
Quote:
On 2002-11-15 17:57, Christof wrote:
Couldn't you do a Mexican Turnover with the card on the table and thus allow a totally free choice?

Just an idea. I like Gary Kurtz' variation on in this theme. You can find on the "Let's get flurious"-video.

Best, chris

It's a good suggestion, but I don't think the Mexican turnover is strong enough as a switch. Just my humble opinion.

I like versions of Red Hot Mama / Chicago Opener / Etc. where there is a signed card that changes color. Just have a few dupes of the cards you use, or replacements for the selections from your deck.
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
NYKnicks5
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of NYKnicks5
In my opinion, having the card change color gives the impression of a card being forced (even though it is clearly not). I prefer to "invisibly" mark the card "through" the deck with a marker (tell the spectator that if they concentrate on their card this might just work, etc.). Then, to show the switch at the end, let them mark the card (invisibly) and tell them that they are not experienced enough to control it, etc. They display the card in any way you like. (This is similar to Ammar's version but with an "X" rather than pressing your thumb to change the color).
BarryRice
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
88 Posts

Profile of BarryRice
If the spectator believes that the card is forced, it almost makes the trick better because they get lulled into a false sense of security for the second phase of the trick
"The magic of the tongue is the most dangerous of all spells."
-Edward George Earle Lytton Bulwer-Lytton

http://www.amazingbarry.com
femur
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
175 Posts

Profile of femur
If the spectator believes that the card is forced, you'll have to practice a bit harder to get a convincing forcing procedure.

The impact of the second phase may be stronger, but it's more of a 'pie in the face' surprise then magic...

(Not that I have a problem with 'pie in te face' endings, it just seems a bit too... challenging)
"I can't really think of a good quote to put here"