The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical Accessories :: can anyone recommend the "Switchback Wallet"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Having bought David Regal's "Special Delivery" I was intrigued to find that there is a leather wallet version of this effect, named the "Switchback Wallet".
Does anyone out there own one? If so, what is your opinion of the wallet?
(Incidentally for all new card men, "Special Delivery" is a classic visual card routine not be missed!)
- Wulfie
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You are absolutely right Wulfie! The “Switchback Wallet” is a leather wallet version of David Regal’s “Special Delivery”.

“Special Delivery” is a killer effect (signed card to a sealed window envelope) and costs only $15.00 US. From time to time, you’ll have to make a new gimmick or two, which is very easily done.

By contrast the “Switchback” wallet costs $40.00. It is made of nice black leather with brass corners on one side only (the left side, open facing you).

It does have a number of strengths. The first is that the card back is seen in a zippered ID section of the wallet as soon as the wallet is opened. The second is that the wallet can be handled fairly and freely AFTER the signed card is stolen (no sleight here and no loading into the wallet!!! Try to figure that out!)! What I mean is, that the wallet can be handled by the finger tips and thumb, set up opened on the table, etc. and the deck can be put down, boxed, shuffled or whatever well before the revelation. Third, the wallet can be easily changed to use any card back design available. Finally it is very low tec! That is, there is nothing to break (as in “Reverse Osmosis” and the “Mirage Wallet”).

The downside of this wallet is that when you open it, it does not look like a standard wallet! There is the zippered ID section to the right (as you hold the wallet open facing you) that holds the playing card and a section with three slits for credit cards to the left. However there is NO back section for paper money! This is easily overcome. I simply took a large hairpin (bobby pin), a la’ “Celebrity Autographs” and made it into a money clip wallet. Now when you open mine it looks like an expensive money clip wallet.

I do like the Switchback and do use it on a fairly regular basis. I like the zippered window compartment and the free handling of the wallet after I have done the dirty work.

For a no-palm card to wallet this is difficult to top.

Hope this helps a little.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
Very much recommended due to the low-tech working. It's difficult for things to go wrong with this wallet which means you don't have to worry about the mechanics and can concentrate on the performance.

I used to use the Mirage wallet which operates on a similar technique, but was not sure fire. The Switchback has never let me down.

It looks like a billfold or back pocket wallet as opposed to a prop. I place business cards in the inserts and paper money in the top slot.

Worth buying.
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
RussellJ
View Profile
New user
Sheffield, UK
7 Posts

Profile of RussellJ
The Switchback Wallet is in fact based on Roger Curzon's Miracle Signed Card in Envelope (as is Special Delivery). Keith Bennett produced the Switchback Wallet following a lecture by Roger. Roger's Envelope was first released in 1988. In spite of all the subsequent variations and "improvements" (sadly often unacknowledged) Roger's still remains the most effective and trouble free.