The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ballooning 101 :: Ballons and Studio Lights (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Stephen Buxton
Hi!

I have been approached by the BBC, and will be performing a 60 second balloon routine, complete with atrocious gags, live on TV this Saturday. My routine isn't a problem - I have been doing it for years. What does concern me though is how the balloons will behave under the studio lights - are they more likely to pop? Are there any special precautions I need to take? Or am I worrying about nothing? (I will be using Qualatex 260 balloons)

I appreciate that this is extremely short notice, however I only found out about this late last night. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. After all - I only have 60 seconds, and this is live TV...

Anyway, if anyone is interested, the show is Dick n Dom in Da Bungalow, and starts at 9 am GMT on BBC1. The segment I am on, Strangely Talented, will be on at about 10 am (give or take a few minutes).

Many thanks in advance
If you put an infinite number of apes in front of an infinite number of computers, you get a pretty good idea of what internet chat rooms can be like
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I wouldn't think the lights would be a problem, especially if you only have 60 seconds. You might want to keep them in a cooler or something until the last minute, just before you go on, so they don't get real hot for any length of time before you start.

Maybe you can go to the studio a little early and try one out between segments of another show (during commercials) to get an idea of how they are going to work.

Good luck, and remember to smile! Smile
Carl Skenes
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Carl Skenes
Stephen,

You're right, you're worrying about nothing. I've done quite a number of television appearances over the years and never had a problem with the lights. It's a common misconception that a TV studio is going to be hot because of the lighting they use. It probably would be if not for the air-conditioning. That's why every studio I've ever been in has been a bit on the chilly side.

By the way, be sure to inspect ALL of the balloons you will be inflating, during your performance, beforehand. Check for pinholes, bad nozzles, siamese balloons, etc. Less to worry about, you know? And get a manicure, with a clear matte finish, if you have time.

Above all, just remember that the BBC called YOU. You must be talented or they wouldn't have. Now go to "Dick n Dom in Da Bungalow" and have fun and remember........Break a leg my friend!
Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Stephen Buxton
Thanks guys for the tips - much appreciated!
If you put an infinite number of apes in front of an infinite number of computers, you get a pretty good idea of what internet chat rooms can be like