The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Tearing or folding the newspaper? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
On the Stevens video for Gene Andersons Torn and Restored Newspaper Gene tears the paper 4 times. Some people I have seen perform this will fold a section of the paper over instead of tearing it.

When I restore the paper everything is ok but if I have folded part of the section of the paper or have not pushed the pieces reasonably flat it makes it difficult to show the paper after it has been restored without flashing the pieces.

Has anyone got any tips on this?

Thanks
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Iron the newspaper! It helps you keep it flatter. And that solves a lot of problems, torn or restored!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jay Newton
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Jay Newton
I don't quite understand your question. I have performed the Anderson newspaper tear for years.

The whole point is that it is torn and restored, not folded and restored. Where would the effect be in that?

Isn't the whole point tearing it?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
How good is the Anderson DVD? I notice there are 2. The newspaper tear DVD and the DVD that has other effects including the Newspaper Tear?

Which is the preferred rendition of the newspaper tear? or are they both the same with regard to that?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Jay Newton

Let me try and explain: The newspaper is torn 4 times by Gene Anderson. Some people I have seen perform this effect tear the newspaper three tears and instead of making the last tear they just fold that section up with the torn pieces.

I find the last tear a little tough because you are tearing through so many layers of paper.
Click here
Jay Newton
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Jay Newton
Okay I understand. As long as you get all the pieces and the last fold inside the clip, there should not be any problems displaying at the end. During the initial display, you had folded paper inside as well!

Just make sure you have a nice packet of paper before closing the clip around them. Also make sure you glued in the extra page as per Gene's instructions to conceal the tricky business.
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Yeah thanks Jay. It seems to be going ok now. I will keep practicing. It is sucha a great trick!
Click here
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Check out Whit Haydn's version of Gene Anderson's "torn & restored Newspaper" at:
http://www.whithaydn.com/video_clips.htm

Whit does are really great job!!!!

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
YVRDave
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
104 Posts

Profile of YVRDave
I use a sewing item (not sure what it is called) but it is a wheel that makes perforations when you roll it over the newspaper. I uses this on the folds that I want to tear so that when I do the actual tear, it tears exactly where I want it to.