The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Topit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Quote:
On 2005-11-14 04:10, Count Zapik wrote:

Hi there brianclementsvatua,

I was being ridiculous & 'off the planet' for a moment. Apologies! I just thought it was a funny idea. But wouldn't it be great if you could do something as daft as that with a topit. [In truth you can't].

Best wishes

Well it may be ridiculous and "off the planet" but it's possible. Just read rikbrooks' idea. Although you have to get rid of the "take off all my clothes" part. The audience aren't ready to see that kind of magic yet. Smile
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
779 Posts

Profile of Philippe
I am a topit user. So, what I would really appreciate is if someone can give me a method of being able to transfer an Ammar topit from coat to coat. Not happy with buttons or pins. Permanant is the best but I have several outfits and am often adding a new suit or jacket?
Jay Newton
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Jay Newton
I have used topits extensively over the years. Permenant is definately the way to go. Pins work for a temporary solution, but the pins pull on the inner lining of your jacket. Over time, they can wreck your lining.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
What is a topit anyway???
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
You can use it to smuggle foreign materials into a movie theatre, ha. Better than getting ripped off at the snack counter.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Quote:
On 2005-11-15 03:32, Philippe wrote:
I am a topit user. So, what I would really appreciate is if someone can give me a method of being able to transfer an Ammar topit from coat to coat. Not happy with buttons or pins. Permanant is the best but I have several outfits and am often adding a new suit or jacket?

Have you tried velcro strips? They are very strong so it would not take large amounts to secure it to the lining. I don't know about wear on the lining.
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Topit+productions=wow, as well as vanishes
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Quote:
On 2005-11-15 19:52, themagicman101 wrote:
What is a topit anyway???

A topit is a utility device that is used for productions and vanishes. Sorry I'm not the best resource for topit stuff seeing as I don't have any experience with one. I've though about it but I typically don't wear a jacket or suit.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
I personally purchased the Jay Scott Berry Topit with the sleeve pockets....excellent.

David Oliver has some amazing work with the topit. If you ever get to see him, get him to work the h*ll out of it.......
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
779 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Richard, I will try velcro, thank you. I did not think it would be strong enough for bottle production but if I apply enough I guess it will be ok.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Dang it all....now you've got ME intruiged! What the heck IS a topit??? I have a pretty good idea actually, based on all the posts here. Tell me this: is it as effective as a TT, but harder to get away with?
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Its totally different from a TT, its a lot more effective than a TT, and a lot easier to get away with.

Clean (?) vanish of a small to medium size ofjects as desired. that's the use of topic right there.
Anyone tried vanishing a Hamburger @ some place? How about a steak?.
Patrons would like that a lot @ the dinner tables lol.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2005-11-17 06:01, Philippe wrote:
Richard, I will try velcro, thank you. I did not think it would be strong enough for bottle production but if I apply enough I guess it will be ok.

For a bottle production, why not go a different route, for example try the Splash Bottle gimmick?
Jim Stan Magic Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago Area
241 Posts

Profile of Jim Stan Magic Man
I use the Ammar version of the topit, and have one in all of but of my jackets. The Bob Fitch DVDs contain some good info on the topit, as does the Ammar DVD. I like to combine the topit and the Trabucco Holdout. Lots of possibilites.
mc_magi, have you seen the Ammar Live at the magic castle video and his story of the mashed potatoes? Funny stuff!
Best,
Jim
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Nivek, here is a video of Cyril Takayama doing an OLEP trick. Watch for the part where he vanishes the lemon. I strongly believe that a topit was utilized for that vanish. (To those knowledgeable regarding the topit who get to read this, correct me if I'm wrong.)
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
RickThibau
View Profile
Loyal user
Brazil
255 Posts

Profile of RickThibau
I have a topit in both sides of 4 of my suits (should I call just jacket? sotty bout the english). Ammar patter too.

Topits in both sides are highly recommended for people that do table hopping. You never know what will be the bad angles. Ive practiced the most basic vanishes with both hands.

Good Luck
perlimpinpin
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of perlimpinpin
Hi guys

The Bob Fitch DVDs are really a masterful investigation of the possibilities offered by the Topit. You will not regret this purchase. I went to Bob's lecture on this subject a few years back and was completely amazed.

Bob is not only a great technician when it comes to the topit, but first and foremost a great PERFORMER in the larger sense of the word. You will not only learn to install and use a topit, but you will also gain tremendous insight into routining, misdirection, patter, and so on.

Another point you might want to note is that making your own topit and having it installed by a seamstress is probably the best way to go, compared with purchasing a ready made one. Due to the nature of this accessory and the way it is used, it should be adjusted to your height and customized to the vest you will use it with. I had mine installed for only $50, and it is completely matched to the lining of my vest, which makes it virtually undetectable. Furthermore, following my instructions, the seamstress included an outside-pocket-to-topit shaft which makes it easy to retrieve objects from the topit and/or topit several items in succession with no tell tale noise. This is a very useful refinement. For $50, this is probably the best accessory I have ever purchased.

You will find all proper instructions on how to build your own topit on the Fitch DVDs.

FYI, I have the Ammar Book and a Cloutier video on the Topit, which predate Bob's DVDs, but I would still recommend the Fitch DVDs as the better source. I can't comment on the Ammar videos though.

Best regards and good topiting.
Daniel

PS : once you get involved with the topit, do keep in mind that while it is a powerful tool, it should be used infrequently and inconspicuously (ie with proper misdirection and on the off beat) or you are bound to generate some suspicion on the part of your audience. Remember that 'topiting' is not the effect, but only a method.