The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: What happened, was this... :: Snowstorm during a snowstorm? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
Being from Minnesota I have always been a bit skeptical about the "snowstorm" illusion. Yeah, it is a nice visual trick, but we get quite enough of the real stuff here for free Smile

So, I was wondering if anyone ever has done the snowstorm illusion in the middle of winter in a place that snows, especially when it is currently snowing outside. Or, did you decide that you won't do it because of the weather?

I would love to see a gag variation of it done in December in Vegas or some other warm place with a line like "And so you thought you could escape the snow by coming here, eh?!"
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I will not do the Snowstorm, I hate to have to clean up.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
BradBrown
View Profile
Regular user
Florence, KY, USA
183 Posts

Profile of BradBrown
Sure I have.

Just a few days ago I did it in Anchorage, AK. They certainly get plenty of free snow. In fact, they had just gotten their first snow of the year and had snow still on the ground. It didn't affect the response at all.

It all comes down to the presentation. Being exposed to plenty of the "real thing" doesn't limit your potential to enjoy it. I mean, you could do card tricks in Vegas or money magic for wealthy folks. Why would snow be different?
BaseballMagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of BaseballMagic
I agree with BradBrown. I think that the snowstorm effect is just as powerful when performed in a snowy sistuation then in an area like Florida that never gets snow. The power of the effect comes from the presentation.
-Michael
Teen Magician Michael Platt
www.magicbymichael.com
Live the Magic!
madmanmike1
View Profile
New user
Canada (Ontario)
94 Posts

Profile of madmanmike1
I just started performing the snowstorm this season. Here in canada, we are covered in snow, but the kids still love the effect! (yes I do it for kids, great reaction always) It is a mess though, so every show I perform it in I'm sure to bring my assistant along. I sign autographs and hand out hand stamps to the kids and he vacs up the mess in the background. I have had many staff come up to me (and my assistant) and thank us very much for cleaning it up. Last week a manager told me when he seen the confetti fly he was a bit miffed knowing he'd have to clean it up, but he was extremly impressed when he saw my assistant pull out the vac as soon as I left the stage. He was on his way up to me to complain, as the last magician that worked there covered the floor with confetti, streamers a raw egg and a squished banana and barely cleaned anything up before he left.

Snowstorm in snowy area - Great, clean up a must though
"it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide!"