The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... :: 'sides having them bawk like a chicken...what else.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
kevinuncanny
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of kevinuncanny
Nalu_magi hit the topic perfectly on the head. DO what he said.
Kevin Lepine
Hypnosis Unleashed-THE Vegas Hypnosis Show
www.Kevinlepine.com
www.VegasHypnosisShow.com
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
...learning to wrap it all up nicely in a bizarre vibe...talks about voodoo trances etc...been going great...

you have all been great help in showing me the bigger picture...
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
This may be viewed as a rant. It isn't. These are honestly held beliefs and honestly asked questions. If they offend, I apologize, but if you are a professional or have a professional attitude about stage hypnosis, I do not think that they will offend you at all. This is NOT directed at any individual, either, regardless of what anyone might say or think.

I have this theory on stage hypnosis that jibes well with my theory about magic and why it isn't generally accepted as a more serious form of entertainment - and that's because the entertainers themselves don't take the art form seriously enough, just for starters. And if WE don't take ourselves seriously, nor our craft seriously, how can we expect anyone else to take US seriously?

Question: How many musicians would take a six week course, a two week course or even a one year course where the class met once each month for a weekend each, and then go out and try to work high-end, professional musical jobs, like the Met or the Hollywood bowl?

Answer - not very many and of those few that did, maybe ONE would succeed and he or she would have been a prodigy anyway.

Stage hypnosis, magic and mentalism aren't any different from a real-world point of view - or shouldn't be. But the magicians, mentalists and many beginning hypnotists, seem to think otherwise, judging from the plethora of people who take ONE course and hang out their shingle as a stage hypnotist, mentalist or magician!

Did Pavarotti become who he became overnight? Did Stravinski? Did Clapton, or BB King, Robert DeNiro, Robin Williams or even Eminem? Heck no! They WORKED for years at their craft, whether in the dives and gin-joints where the audiences will throw you out on your ear for a bad performance, or through cuttin' contests on stage with the REAL pros or through years and years of study, practice, rehearsal and performance.

But stage hypnotists, mentalists, and magicians often think that they can read a book, take a SINGLE COURSE, go to a SINGLE WORKSHOP, or even hang out with a few people who actually work in the business and pick up on how to do this stuff in a matter of weeks, months or even days!

Does that sound even remotely logical when compared to a singer, an actor or a dancer or even a mime? Actors, musicians, dancers and even mimes are constantly taking classes to improve and hone their skills. They work with OTHER actors, musicians, etc. under the watchful eye of a DIRECTOR who then DIRECTS them in how to improve their work! How many of us are even willing to let someone even SEE what we really do who isn't "in" on the "secrets" of our art?

I was going to go on about this, but, frankly, I know that it wouldn't make all that much of an impression. I've only been in the business a short time as this summer I will be celebrating my 38th year as a performer and my work has taken me all over the US, Canada and the Caribbean. I've worked for audiences ranging from biker bars to Hollywood stars, but so what?

If you're serious about the craft, you'll keep studying and won't do your first show after only one class. That's like doing a magic show after taking only one class in magic.

Sorry of that ruffles some feathers, but, frankly, would YOU hire a performer who had taken only ONE class in his chosen craft?

I know I wouldn't. And I don't know any agents, club owners or talent bookers that would, either.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
kevinuncanny
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of kevinuncanny
Amen Lee!

I agree wholeheartedly
Kevin Lepine
Hypnosis Unleashed-THE Vegas Hypnosis Show
www.Kevinlepine.com
www.VegasHypnosisShow.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow a lot of typing was saved for me by Lee thanks sir

And he probably spelled a lot more words right and offended far less people

SAY IT AGAIN LEE!!!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Thank you gentlemen. I've been wanting to get that off my chest for quite a while now. Even with the spelling errors. As a minor excuse for those, take a peek at the time stamp on the post itself...

Happy early New Year.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Lee, what I meant was MY spelling errors would DWARF that count!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell