The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ballooning 101 :: Balloon top hats (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
In my kids shows I generally wear a 'floppy' top hat for a lot of the time. Recently though, I thought I might make a balloon top hat and wear it to the party instead, not only would it make for a grand and colourful entrance, but at the end of the party I could give it away!

However, that idea came crashing down the other day when I made one for the first time. It took me forever to make it and so I thought there's no way I'm going to make multiples of these to give away each weekend! I'll have to make at least 2 though, because if you make one to fit your head today, tomorrow it's gone down a hat size or 2. Smile

So what about you guys, do you make them, wear them, give them away, avoid them like the plague or what?

Looking forward to hearing your ideas and experiences.

Cheers
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
I know how to make them but if you wear one every kid wants one...I never show or say anything I don't want to make...

Jeff
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
A proper balloon Top Hat uses about 12 balloons and takes pretty long to twist.
It uses a weaving technique like a basket, 6 balloons tied together forming ribs, each rib is then connected with pinch twists to several horizontal balloons that fill in the sides plus form the brim. This looks great and can be made very tall, but it takes time and lots of balloons.

So I sometimes do a six balloon party hat in a similar style. Using a Gimping technique I think I got from a David Grist tape, it has an open top and uses less time and balloons making it a good "Special" hat for the birthday child.

Start with six 260's about half full, pinch twist the knot end of two and connect the second's pinch bubble to the first balloon about 4 inches down and repeat with each until you get back to attaching the sixth to the first. Making a ring with the six long ends pointing the same way.

The top hat has additional pinch twists on every level which looks good but is not necessary for this party hat, just make a 2" bubble on the first, then another 4" bubble and twist it into the next balloon at it's 2" bubble. "Gimping" each to the next, the last one has to go through the first to complete the second row. Continue with the third and fourth rows so you only have about 6" left on each balloon. If you use 2 red, white and blue balloons you can make a step pattern or fold them back every other level to get 2 red sides, white sides and blue sides. Then just connect the last 6" tails to the next balloon at it's last twist to give a scalloped brim, or you may have enough left to make a 1" bubble and a 5" bubble and gimp them around to give more of a round brim. Just make sure that the brim lies on the outside of the last row of balloon on the sides. Or you can put a 350 around the outside for a bigger brim.

Got it?

BTW, actually wearing it yourself can get somewhat sweaty, and constant contact with latex does cause some non-allergic people to have reactions. Wear a banana on your head to keep it clean or wear a cap and put the banana in your ear!
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.