The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: URGENT: need piano hinge help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
I am very close to a deadline I MUST meet and I need to take the pin out of a piano hinge. I have never had to do this w/ a piano hinge before. I am working w/ 4 30inch pieces. I was able to tap it out a bit, but I cannot get it all the way out. Pliers would not do it, neither would a vice. If you have experience w/ this, please help!

Thanks!
Brian
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
I have had the same problem. First hammer it out with a nail as far as you can, then get locking pliers and attachit to the end that is stuck out. Then spray a lot of silicone and wd40 while twisting and pulling at the same time. It will help if you either have it mounted or in a vice.
Corrupting the art of magic, one show at a time
www.underworldent.com
www.myspace.com/johnshawcomedymagic
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Caveat is right on the money. It just take muscle sometimes.

I make sure the hinge is totally close on itself as that gives the metal more strength as you are twisiting. Lube it up. Take a thinnner pin and knock it out so you have good half inch to bite onto. I use a vise or the locking pliers and wiggle back and forth.

Then when you put it back together use a thinner piece of straighten music wire for the hinge pin.

richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I've never tried this w/ a piano hinge, but I've done it w/ a regular hinge, and it works most of the time. Clamp one side of the hinge in a vise and grab the pin w/ the locking pliers. Then, as you pull, open and close the hinge w/ the other hand. Sometimes a good chunk of the problem w/ a recalcitrant hinge pin is that's it's bent just enough to not cooperate, but the twisting motion helps it move along.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"