The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Grand illusion :: Performance Tips for Suspension(s) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
the conjurer
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of the conjurer
Hi All--

I was hoping to start a discussion/open forum on 'performance tips' and 'routining ideas' for the Suspension Illusion.

I am a magician from the UK who performs mainly banquet shows and the occasional cabaret. My performance conditions are usually 'not the best' with angle problems, no set-up or striking areas (aka no wing space)and assorted other problems that I am sure plague other magicians.

I have decided to add a 'Walk-Away Suspension' (Harbin) to my act. The best situation would be performing on a stage, but as I have outlined above, this is not the case. What I wish to do is perform this effect as a, dare I say, classic 'levitation'. Yes, I am aware that I am performing a 'suspension', but what I would like to do is perform it (the suspension) as a classic levitation.

I want the audience to leave saying, 'He made the lady float in the air.'

So the question is--

What do 'you' do in performing a suspension to 'aid in' or 'add to' the illusion that the assistant is 'floating on thin air'? What do 'you' do to make the effect 'magical'?

Now you can talk about any suspension, but in particular, I would like to hear about 'classic looking - floating ladies'. Be it--

Super-X Suspension

Walk-Away Suspension (Harbin, Blaney or any other)

Burling Hull's Dream Levitation

Steinmeyer's Hotter Than Air

or

Any other 'classic looking' floating.

I look forward to hearing your 'uplifting ideas'.

Thanks,

Michael
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Try telling the audience that "the lady is floating in the air. The slightest breeze makes her move like a cloud up and down, this way and that... etc." The more graphic your words, the more they will "see" what you want them to see, and of course, think what you want them to think.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I think it really adds to the effect if you pass a hoop. This is especially true if you get a Blaney hoop and do just one pass. This seems to help with some of the inherent problems with a walk-away type of suspension.
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
We use one sublety that has gone over fairly well. It goes unnoticed by some, but for a few it creates the illusion of the person raising a little into the air. My gal lays about half way to the side, so she's kind of 'hanging' forward. Because of this, if she flexes and adjusts her body, it can appear from the front that she's moved up a few inches. It's matched with some choreography and music to bring a bit more attention to it. Though it's very subtle, and not a drastic raise, it works. Even if only 1 person notices it.

Matt
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
582 Posts

Profile of Tony S
I agree with using a hoop from Walter Blaney. I've been using his Great White Hoop for about 6 months now. It definitely helps sell the effect.

Tony
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Audiences really don't tend to distinguish the difference between a suspension and a levitation. All they see and remember is the person floating in the air. Keeping the area of the float as clean as possible helps to emphasize the illusion, as does the ability to walk away from it and do a hoop pass.

Remember, it's not what you do, but what the audience perceives and remembers that really matters.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1795 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2005-10-20 11:26, magicman845 wrote:
Audiences really don't tend to distinguish the difference between a suspension and a levitation. All they see and remember is the person floating in the air. Keeping the area of the float as clean as possible helps to emphasize the illusion, as does the ability to walk away from it and do a hoop pass.

Remember, it's not what you do, but what the audience perceives and remembers that really matters.

Kent

Really good advice-well said!!

The conjurer-

PM me I will send you some good pics peforming live of Paul Osbone super suspension I built-I use Greek Pillars for supports that are taken away as well as Hoop Pass etc-Plays very strong in most Theatres & cabarets as long as audience is at a reasonable distance in front!

Can be used for your assistant or any audience member up to 250-300lbs etc if needed

Packs into car & is super strengthened & puts up in 8 mins -held by 4 large nuts & bolts-can roll on & off stages or just leave it there before use etc
Dream-Concepts
View Profile
New user
UK
95 Posts

Profile of Dream-Concepts
Make it short, don't give them time to analize it.

Yor build up and take down story can be as long as you like but the actual time she's floating needs to be short and snappy (15 seconds absolute MAX). Remember Blain's balduci levitation; because it was so quick and he made out that it was a great physical exhersion the public forget about looking for mechanical methods and are much more willing to attach a "magical" explanation to what they have just witnessed.
Our annual sale of Costumes & props is now on - view them at www.IllusionExchange.com
Saydean
View Profile
Loyal user
Omaha,Nebraska
206 Posts

Profile of Saydean
OK at the risk of being accused of revaling a secret ,try this, while it's not a true levatation it is easy to do . First you take a bottle jack the kind that you can lower by turning a knob to release the pressure ,start with it elevated and rig a 2x3 plywood platform covered with a cloth that reaches to the floor lay your asst down then attempt to raise the subject. As you try to "Levitate" the person, act fustrated at not being able to raise them up,stop and really try to raise them by saying:" Up, up up" Now take your foot and turn the relase with your foot and as they start to go down say: " Up up ....I mean down, down."Make sure that the platform bed has 4 2x4 legs that will allow it to sit on the floor once the jack has lowered. the bottle jack will lower slowly if you practice the release. Howz dat?
Bill Blagg III
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Bill Blagg III
Speaking of the Blaney Suspension 3001....there will be a limited HUGE sale price advertised in MAGIC this Dec. Keep an eye out for it!
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Quote:
On 2005-10-25 01:20, Bill Blagg III wrote:
Speaking of the Blaney Suspension 3001....there will be a limited HUGE sale price advertised in MAGIC this Dec. Keep an eye out for it!

I don't subscribe to Magic. Will it be on the ProCraft web site?
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Bill was telling me about this. This sound really cool. Yes it is from ProCraft.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
A chair suspension or magic carpet suspension. Might be the best type when you're dealing with screwy angles and staging problems.

Kregg
POOF!
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of brandonford1982
I like to have the sepctator covered with a cloth and then un cloth them during the suspension. I think it adds psycologically to the fact theat they think the cloth must be hiding soemthing. Then you remove the cloth and there is nothing there. Just My opinion
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
PM me for my thinking on the Gwynne Walk-Away Suspension performance.
Walt