The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Flicking a knot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Hi, I have recently purchased relentless ring and string, the routine is amazing but I can't understand how a knot can be 'flicked'.

Can you help me?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Do you mean holding a piece of rope or string at one end and giving it a shake and an overhand knot is "tossed" into it at the bottom end?

Look in Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks. It is just a knack thing.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Yeah that's the one,
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Just think about the dynamics and you will see how it is done. A snap and the upper part strikes the middle and the end flips around and thru the loop. To learn you can put a bit of weight on the end and also strike the rope with your index finger.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I do this before starting my ring and rope routine. I figured the technique myself. I hold the rope (about 3 1/2 feet long) at its end by the right thumb and index finger. I allow about 8 inches to rest on the floor with the end pointing to my left. I lift up the rope about a foot off the ground and then snap it with the right hand to the right. Sometimes I get a knot and sometimes it's a slip knot which then vanishes. I usually repeat it until a knot is formed. If you miss a few times it's no big deal since the audience doesn't know what to expect.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I learned this by letting the rope dangle from my fist with my index finger pointing outward. Basically that means you only use your thumb and three fingers to hold the rope, your hand looking like it's pointing at something.

Raise your hand about shoulder high and swing your hand sharply in a downward arc curving right to left. Inertia will keep most of the rope in place, except for the part you're holding. Rolling your wrist upward, strike the rope with the side of your index finger about half to 2/3 of the way down. If done right, the bottom third will flip up and through the loop formed by the upper part of the rope. The weight of the rope will then pull the tail down, tightening the loop into a loose overhand knot.

At least it sounds good in theory. I could show you in person much easier. Just try it a few times, you'll know what I mean.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Check out the Dennis Loomis Knot routine DVD at http://www.loomismagic.com/
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2975 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thanks for the tips, guys. Smile
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I saw Jeff Moche do this trick on stage at Monday Night Magic in New York City, he hits it almost every time, and as I said on another thread, to be able to throw a knot, or do the boomerang rubber band trick is to be able to do a trick that has been around for as long as there have been either soft rope, or high quality rubber bands.

Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Joker:

As Miller mentions on the vid, that bit is THE most difficult one to acquire of the lot. Part of the problem is that Miller does not adequately deconstruct the movements...the information is accurate, and will get you there (study the diagrams in the accompanying book), but picking up the "knack" requires "why" information, not just "how."

If you like, place the string and you hand in formation on an horizontal surface -- tabletop or what have you. Now work the moves in slo-mo, repositioning the string to match the phases of its intended movements. Watching the knot form this way helped me understand "why" this thing worked, and that led to a better grasp of "how," and thus, the "knack." Still, the moves took >6months to acquire, and misfires are still common. Be sure to study the back-up move Miller teaches; that way, if you're performing and can't flip that knot in three snaps, you can move on. Smile

Leland
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I find that "flicking a knot" looks great when it works, but even with a LOT of practice the failure rate is high. Flip developed what he calls the "horizontal loop principle" which accomplishes the same feat, but with a prettier movement and much higher success. You may wish to check this out. It's on his rope magic DVD; I don't know if it is in print anywhere.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
For these rope tricks I use a 1/2" thick nylon rope that has more weight and is smooth.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
A little weight in the end helps.

I have a routine using a very, very thick and heavy Devil Rope (sold years ago by Supreme) and I found to HIT with a high rate I would slam the rope against my leg.

The routine, briefly: Bring out rope, snap knot into it, tighten knot, "set" for hindu rope, show rope standing for a bit, bring out a BAGEL, "can't afford a Hindoo boy" -- put bagel over end of rope, where it drops and stops on the knot.

"Watch..." The boy (bagel) now runs up the rope and off into my hand.

Spread arms, rope in one hand, bagel in other (Charlie Miller bow position) and take the bow.