The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Amos Levkovitch-"just do it" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
dmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of dmagic
Today I received video
It's 30 minutes and $45.
I'm not satisfied with the video.

Someone else have this?

I think it's a mistake to buy many many videos or DVDs.
I have 4 DVDs on dove magic and none are the very best to learn dove magic.

I think the best world dove act is Greg Frewin, but your DVD is $150. It's expensive for me.

david
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Try Dave Womach's video.
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Just remember, today's dove workers probably learned more of their craft from more books than from DVD's.
Too much stock is placed on the instructional video, not to mention an endless supply of opinions. Ian Adaire's Encyclopedia of Dove Magic will do more to increase one's dove working knowledge, than will ten of the best DVD's.
POOF!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Kregg,

Facts are I will have to agree with you. But the characteristics of today's market require DVDs.

By spring I plan to put some DVDs out too and put my dove harnesses on the market. But DVDs are not the wealth of knowledge available from books. Closed books are worthless.

I have been working on two books for many years. However, as an old marketing professor, I'll bet you more DVDs sell than books. The buyers aren't searching for knowledge, just an act.

Customers rule!

Bob
Magic By Sander

PS --- I should be in Atlanta two weeks in November. Hope I get to see you.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
David, looking for the very best DVD on dove magic is like searching for the holy grail. Nice idea but it isn't going happen. There is no one "best" video. I have a very large collection of vid and books on Dove magic and there is something on every one of them that I have either used or learned from.

You really can't compare price with content. Yes, Greg Frewin's DVD series is expensive but not for the really serious dove worker. You can find cheaper vid's and DVD's but you won't get as much content. It's a trade off.
Where the magic begins
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
Just curious, I have the Shimada video that was sold by Steven's years ago. Does anyone else have this? I'm not sure that it was particularly good as an "instructional" video, but I was just in awe at watching Shimada work. (I'm not sure there is such thing as a good "instructional" dove video anyway. I think so much of that knowledge just comes from experience. I mean, there is not a good "instructional" video on how to become a concert pianist or world class opera singer, is there?) I think a lot of the benefit of these videos comes from watching and realizing "This is what things are supposed to look like when done right."

Cris
dmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of dmagic
I found Thomas Clark. He sells a DVD for learning dove magic ($10).

http://www.magicsax.com
puckmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, Florida
260 Posts

Profile of puckmagic
When I started and got serious about wanting to do a dove act the first tapes that I bought were Shimada's, Tony Clarks, and Victor & Diamonds. I learned so much in those tapes about bird care, pockets, loops, costumes,act structure, and so much more. The video's not only had tricks and tips, but they also showed the performers entire act. You can learn a lot from studying working acts. I still use ideas mentioned on those tapes to this day.

The books are good too but my advice is to see as many dove workers performance tapes as you can. When you watch these tapes you should be more focused on the showmanship and personality involved then the steals and slights performed.

Puck
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Puck, sounds like we've taken the same path. Those are the same vid's I invested in when I started and still refer to them.

Cris, I have the Shimada vid you are talking about. I think it's an excellent instructional vid. He shows you the jacket pocket, describes his harnesses and hook ups and some techniques. Of course, it is pretty much an explanation of his act but the ideas are sound and can be adapted very easily.
Where the magic begins
DoveDaddy
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of DoveDaddy
I recommend "DOVES 101" by dove pro Andy Amyx which is available in both DVD and VHS. Andy also sells everything you need to perform with doves: harnesses, holders, pockets, wire, pro-color, etc. It's "One Stop" shopping for dove magic.
Go here: http://www.andyamyx.com/stageproducts.html

Dan Sperry also sold an excellent instructional dove video a couple years ago called "X-treme Dove Magic". It used to be available on his X-treme dove magic web site, but I don't see it posted there any longer. You could try e-mailing him to inquire about availability.
Go here:http://www.xtremedovemagic.com