The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ellis Ring thumb routine (Johnson) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
Does it really fool anyone?

I have the ring & routine, it just seems a little too far fetched, and I am afraid to try it in the "real world"

Anybody use it in that configuration with success/failure?

Kinda Wonderin'

Dano
"Magic" is merely an illusion, but "Perception" is reality!
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2736 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I have used it and even tho it seems like there is no way in the world it will go over it does. It is one of those things that you just have to try for yourself to see that it really does work.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Dano, are you talking about the on-the-thumb thing?
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
The on-the-thumb what? There is only one routine I've ever found that I thought could fool anyone using that ring.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Sorry, I didn't read the "title" of this thread, and now I see that Dano is asking about the effect where the ring vanishes and appears on the spectator's thumb. Dano, the answer is yes, it can be done successfully, but make sure that the ring is warm or at body temperature, for example by holding it for a bit before you initially place it on the spectator's thumb.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
And if you're still afraid to go for it try the effect from Barry Richardson's Theatre of the Mind with the bottle. Worth checking out.
I just bought a Johnson Ellis Ring two weeks ago to do just this effect!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Also, press the ring into the flesh of the thumb, then remove the sh*** and show it to the mark. "Can you still feel the ring on your thumb, even though I've removed it?" Of course they can still feel it, because, well, you know why. But now they've got a rationale for that feeling. Continue your patter, "That's a 'phantom sensation,' similar to the pain that amputees feel from a missing limb after it's been removed." Tell the mark that phantoms can sometimes be real.

Vanish the sh***, remove the hanky, and voila! The "phantom" ring has become real!

Leland
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
"Thumb Fun" it is... and it is stroooooooooong mojo fans.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
What the......! OK, I'll try it. I can buy into that presentational idea, Leland.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've tried it and it works great! I've seen it in both "The Best In Magic" by Elliott and in a set of Steve Hart lecture notes. The Hart version tells how to make sure the spectator won't feel the difference.
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
This routine works very well. Larry's tip about making sure the ring is "warmed" is excellent. Leland's advice to put a little pressure on the ring continues to be excellent. Another small tip: As you remove the ring, sort of scrape it along the spectator's thumb. Do this lightly. All of these tips will help to make this a dynamic and interactive bit of magic!

Respectfully,

Paul Green