The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Lights...camera...action! :: Effects that look good on video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MagicMarker
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of MagicMarker
I had just about given up on trying to get some of my colour changes to work. No matter how hard I practiced, no matter how I altered how I held the cards I was never even close to as good as some of the video clips I was seeing.

Then I tried recording myself to see what I looked like and I was shocked. It all looked great. Just like in the video's I was seeing on the Web.

Thing is I know I'm not that good live which is all that matters. When you take away the sound of cards flicking off each other etc. and when you're forced to watch through the fixed lens it's amazing how impressive the magic can look.

I started messing with the Eidetic Change today and on Video it looks stunning. In person I wouldn't fool a blind man.

Are there any sleights that you know of that look great on video but no matter how you try you can't get right to a level that you'd be willing to perform live?

-MM
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
I remember when I was learning the pass it looked great on video, but not so great in person. In a video, almost anyone can have a killer pass.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
The video lens has one eye. People see in stereo with two eyes. There are subtle things that stereo vision picks up that you won't get looking at a flat screen. Video is helpful for feedback but it doesn't replace a live audience.
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Quote:
On 2005-10-06 12:07, MagicMarker wrote:
Thing is I know I'm not that good live which is all that matters. When you take
away the sound of cards flicking off each other etc, and when you're forced to
watch through the fixed lens it's amazing how impressive the magic can look.

Welcome to the world of Oz Pearlman and Penguin Magic. An entire marketing philosophy is based on just this concept. A lot of effects that work fine on camera are simply unworkable in live situations (though admittedly, even the camera can't make some of those performances look good).

Penguin has a version of Bro John Hamman's Your Signed Card that uses a gaff of black construction paper taped to the back of a card. The idea is that audiences won't notice it when it's on a black close-up mat! OK, whatever you say guys....
Pinekonez
View Profile
New user
South Carolina, US
24 Posts

Profile of Pinekonez
Quote:
On 2005-10-06 12:57, Larry Barnowsky wrote:
The video lens has one eye. People see in stereo with two eyes. There are subtle things that stereo vision picks up that you won't get looking at a flat screen.

Not quite the same thing I think. Video cameras convey depth in a way that a single human eye can't. Maybe I'm a dumbass.