The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Dove fat ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
dmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of dmagic
I got from my friend 3 doves.
Two look great, fly freely ... But one dove is fat hardly moves.
(My English is not good.)

What I need to do?

Thank you
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Exercise daily. Give a eye dropper of caster oil. Get some Antibiotics from the the pet store.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Dmagic,

I can't agree with Bill on this one. Caster oil is poison to doves. (My physician wife agrees with me.)

Your dove may be puffing up to stay cool. It is not always a bad sign.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4861 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I hope Bill meant Wheat germ and not caster oil. In anycase, before trying any home remedies, hold the dove in one hand and smooth down it's feathers with the other. If it is just puffing up for ventilation, the feathers will relax and you'll see the true size of the bird. If it is indeed fat, excercise it each day, only give it small amounts of food each day with vitamins like nutrimin. Check your pet stores, they usually have a good choice of vitamins, and keep an eye on it. If it stays lethargic, tends to keep it's eyes closed or shielded, has a watery droppings, then take it to a vet. Doves are very susceptible to colds and viruses.
Where the magic begins
Jason Purdy
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Jason Purdy
If just the crop (breast area below the neck) is puffy and bloated it could have an impacted crop. In which case you may want to seek a vet.
dmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of dmagic
I don't want dove fat so I give to friend gift . now I have 2 dove ..
next week I take more 2 dove.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Dmagic:

Rather than just pass off the dove to someone else, you should see if he/she needs medical attention. Surely, they have vets in Israel. Read the posts by the others who have taken the time to respond to you.

Your doves are not props; they deserve proper care and attention. You asked for advice and seem to have ignored it.

Ron Reid