The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Where to find fake bird heads (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
zenburg
View Profile
New user
Modesto, Ca
1 Post

Profile of zenburg
Does anyone know where I can get realistic Dove and Chicken heads ? I can find fake Doves but not the head and I don’t want to whole fake bird anyway. Also no source for the chicken head….except the McDonald's scandal….but that’s another story. I was thinking on looking up taxidermist but I don’t want to have to supply the bird either if you know what I mean. This is for the head off trick. Any help would be appreciated.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
You have to buy a fake dove and do some editing to the body for the size that you want. For the chicken a taxidermist would proably be the way to go, but it might cost a bit more than you want to spend.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
kcedelcycib
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of kcedelcycib
Norm Nielsen makes some mighty fine fullsizers. Since he manufactures 'em give him a call and ask if he can make heads for you. Dunno about chickens though.

http://www.nnmagic.com/magicitems/stagemagicpage_al.htm
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Just an idea for the chicken head. Go to a few home furnishing stores like Home Goods, TJMaxx, or knick Knack shops. I've seen artificial birds and other animals there and I know I've seen chickens. For the amount of time the audience sees the heads, they don't have to be minutely exact.
Where the magic begins
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I live in the Philippines and cockfighting is a sport here. I've seen fake half roosters on handles for sale at the veterinary shop. They use this to train the roosters for battle.

For fake dove heads, simply cut the Nielson dove. Or mould one from modelling clay and cast it with plaster of paris then use epoxy or your desired chemical.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Some years ago there was a fake dove head sold by Tannen's Magic. It was credited to a Japanese Magician. Came with rubber dove head and a silk. Don't know if still available.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Hocus pocus sells a fake dove head that I purchased about 1 year ago, it is used to remove the head and place it back on in a stage act (usually). Inside the head is a bubble that is filled with fake blood so when the head is removed it begins to drip, although I never used the blood idea. The qualityof the head was not to my satisfaction and after a while I discarded it, and quit using the effect in my act. But I would say your best bet is to find a dead dove (if you want a close match) I don't know how this will happen for you, and bring it to a taxidermist. Many magicians have done this when their doves have died. They tell the taxidermist you just want the head and he will do his magic. And yes I agree this is sickening but a perfect match!

DJ
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Remember to keep it simple- why go to so much trouble for a simple effect?

Cut the head off a Norm Neilson latex dove and stuff it with some toilet paper. Remember that a dove head is small, and is not as visible as a chicken head; don't worry about the real factor.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I'd just get a fake dove from a craft shop and cut the head off. If the craft shop has them, it's a very cheap solution.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Is the effect for close up magic or stage?