The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Magic Movies, and Music Home Theater (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Many of the Café members ask me to post pictures of my home theater when it was completed:

Here is a link to my now completed Magic, Movies & Music Home Theater.

http://www.magic-magic.com/Theater.html

Comments welcome.
Dennis Michael
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18105 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Looks Cool!!!! How's it sound?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Well past 100dbs, and I forgot to mention I have base virbrating speakers attached to the seating risers (Back wall) so not only do you hear DTS surround sound, you feel it. Drawback the bedroom is directly above so no one can get any sleep even tough I uses tons of sound proofing. (Code required I put heating duct work in, so that is how the sound is getting through.)

PS There is another empty bedroom on the other side of the house, so she can can get a nights sleep.
Dennis Michael
Dave Fiscus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Dave Fiscus
Your theater/workroom looks great, Dennis. What is that large red case on the desk, a computer? Are you using a ceiling mounted projection system?
Dave
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

The large red case is my Alienware Computer.

I originally wanted a wall mounted system. When the Building inspector required the duct work, a wall mounted system wouldn't work and project a large enough image on to the wall screen.

I already had a Boxlight projector, that was used for seminars, lectures, and at my magic clubs. This portabality is the best because of the many uses. Looking on the back wall you will see that projector on the riser. It had to be that far away to get a full screen projection. Also, the connection from the DVD players runs through the wall to that back wall. The projector has connections so I can hook my computer up to it, or place an electronic card in it and it becomes a stand alone powerpoint projector. My wife has used it in her teaching classes.

At the close-up lectures in the magic clubs, I use my digital camcorder and project the close up on to a 10' x 14' Large screen so everyone can see the table action.
Dennis Michael
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Did your Vanishing Flower and pot come from Central Florida Magic? He deals a lot on E-Bay... It looks like the work of a friend of mine!

Lyndel
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

The vanishing flower is a Richard Hughes Product and has his signature on the bottom of the table.

If you notice on the Right wall are several Forgetful Freddie looking props. They work like it but they are motivational and educational props from Steve Taylor, and Forgetful Frankie from Mike Bent. Below them are the numerous Rabbit Production and Vanishing boxes.
Dennis Michael
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Dave you asked about the projection system. Mine is 1,200 lumens really bright projection and cost me close to $5,000 many years ago.. Boy have the prices come down. For $999 you get 2000 lumens, and DVI projection capability

I just got an email from Boxlight projection systems:
http://www.insitehq.com/boxlight/CORP_9-05.htm

These are powerful projectors and allow for HD projections. Oh, to have an extra thousand!
Dennis Michael
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
DenDowhy...
If you want to mount the projector on the ceiling, but don't have enough throw room, you may want to look at bounce mirrors. Just make sure you ONLY get a first or front surface mirror. Put the projector on the ceiling facing the back wall, put the mirror on the back wall, of course at the right angle and now you can lengthen your throw.

This is what we are in the process of doing for our show. We redesigned the stage and can only want to rear project. But he throw can be short at times.

Hope that helps.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Thanks Kevin, the drawback with lengthing the distance is that it doesn't take much to over project the size of the screen. The zoom fctor works great for getting larger but zooming down for the mirror projected is a little difficult.. If I reach that time, I like this idea and might be able to project down and under the overhang.

Because I use it a lot in lectures, at magic clubs, and seminars, the portabability appeals to me.

Den
Dennis Michael