The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Forum guidelines - please read before posting! :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
This forum is for the discussion of ethics (specifically as it relates to the magic community), but what does that really mean? Essentially, the topic of ethics is the study of the general nature of morals and of the specific moral choices to be made by a person and their moral philosophy. What seems to be correct behavior by one party may be completely unacceptable by another.

So what does all of this have to do with magic? Well, if you are a creator/inventor of magical effects, a writer, manufacturer or distributor in the magic industry - plenty!

That said, what we are really discussing here is business ethics. Okay, so what does the term business ethics really mean?

Generally speaking, business ethics is a normative discipline, whereby particular ethical standards are assumed and then applied. It makes specific judgements about what is right or wrong, which is to say, it makes claims about what ought to be done or what ought not to be done.

Because this issue can and does affect us all, I felt it warranted its very own forum. Based on the many topics concerning ethics that I've seen on The Café I am confident this area will be used extensively.

I personally feel that discussion and debate of this topic can be a good thing for everyone concerned.

However, this area is NOT an arena for finger pointing.
Because the Internet allows folks to post comments (whether true or not) in just a few seconds for possibly thousands to read within a very short time, making negative statements or accusations concerning the character or business practices of an individual or company/dealer will not be tolerated. While you may personally know that John Doe stole an idea, trick, or effect and is a thief, posting such information on The Magic Café will get your post deleted asap, and with no notice or explanation given. As far as we are concerned, such postings are no more then gossip or slander and fall into the lawsuit category. As has been stated elsewhere, we are NOT a court of law, we are a magic community. Please take any grievances you may have concerning individuals of questionable character to the proper authorities, who are better equipped to handle such situations. 'Nuff said. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks