The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: Help With Candles (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
How do you make a holder for fantasio's appearing candles and stop them from opening in your pocket (or where ever they are held).

Derek Merdinyan
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Saftey pin and bobby pin is the most simple way. The saftey pin attaches it to where ever you want it to be placed and the bobby pin prevents it from opening to soon. Simply slide it off the bobby pin when making your steal.
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Or use piano wire attached to the back of your suitcase table (if you have one) like what Michael P. lair suggests in his candles video.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
See the David Ginn books on Fantasio Cane and Candles or the video tape 'The Cabaret Act' by Mehdi Talbi produced by Camiirand Academy of Magic Inc.
magicurt
View Profile
Loyal user
alabama
222 Posts

Profile of magicurt
I have also used a card clip to hold my candles and that works fine.
Curt
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2005-09-26 21:03, wmhegbli wrote:
See the David Ginn books on Fantasio Cane and Candles or the video tape 'The Cabaret Act' by Mehdi Talbi produced by Camiirand Academy of Magic Inc.

Gosh it's been so long I forgot about those. In fact, a couple of the ideas I got from the books I STILL use!
lair
View Profile
New user
Michael P. Lair
44 Posts

Profile of lair
I explain a safety catch or candle ring holder for vanishing candles in the Candles! video, and the Stage Cool and Candles books. You can apply the same principles to Fantasio appearing candles. Also, as mentioned in a previous post, music wire will hold the candles locked until ready. Loop one of the ends of the music wire, and pin it in your pocket, and you can slide a few appearing candles onto the wire to be ready when you slide them off the wire. I have the candle effects and ideas available at my website at http://www.lairmagic.com
Michael Lair
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Thanks for the ideas guys. I will have to give them a try.

I am looking for one other type of clip to use with a candle that I can just rip it off like that *snaps* Something like a clip maybe hanging under my coat. In one locations that I will perform at (several times) I will be almost fully surrounded and people will be able to see all around me. Thus the stealing of the candle must be very quick and easy.

Now I know what you are thinking. that's impossible to do. You know what I say?

You may be right. I have no idea, I have never performed in that sort of "arena."

Derek Merdinyan
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Take control of the situation and audience Derek. Get them all on one side of the area so they are in front. Tell them the only way to get a great view of the performance will be seated in front of you.

I just busted out laughing thinking of a scene in Mel Brook's History of The World. Da Vinci is about to paint the last supper and finds that having half the apostoles one one side of the table and the other half opposite them isn't working. So he says something like "Alright! everyone on the left side of the table get up and move to the other side...." They do and the rest is history.

Yeah tell them to get over to the other side etc. even if they have to rearrange chairs.
lair
View Profile
New user
Michael P. Lair
44 Posts

Profile of lair
Derek and All:
A good friend of mine in South Carolina, who is very creative, named Tim Sonefelt has a website http://www.timsonefelt.com with many wonderful magic effects for stage workers on it. All effects are excellent quality. Under the Utility Merchandise topic at his site, is an item entitled "Candle Clip". This is exactly what you are describing you need, Derek. I have seen them, and they are incredible. They are only $10, and easy to work with for candle productions. Tim also has Candle Caps at his site, keeping the candles wet with fluid until showtime. Great stuff!
Michael Lair
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Michael,

You stole my thunder, Tim Sonefelt is a great resource for what you are looking for. He also has a set of lecture notes that explains a lot of holders and clips. Very good instructions on how to make what you are looking for. I believe I got my notes from Denny Hanney.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I will chime in also on Tim Sonefelt. Save yourself the trouble and aggravation and just buy his notes and clip.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Matt Kap
View Profile
New user
Seattle, Washington
67 Posts

Profile of Matt Kap
You can also snip a length of wire to just fit past the diameter of the candle. Insert the wire before performance. You can now get a hold of the candle and palm it naturally for any length of time that is required for your routine. When it is time for the magic, press the tip of the candle with your thumb and let the wire slip to the floor. that's just a little tip I discovered when I wanted to reduce the risk of the candle from "going off" in my hand too early in complicated routines.
Good luck Derek.
-MATT KAP
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." -Albert Einstein
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Believe me, I would love to perform the routine with the audience infront of me, yet this is not the case. I will be performing during a school assembly. The seating arrangements are two tall sets of bleechers that run almost the length of the room with enough space for doors on either side. There will be some special guests sitting in chairs infront of the stage (elevated platform...) There will also be between 20-30 people directly behind me working on music/preparing video presentations, etc. There is no way to cover them. I have performed there once before and had to do some "dodgy steals" and they worked, but those were with billiard balls. The candle steals would be similar, yet the method to which they are held would be different.

I will check out Tim's website, sounds like he gets a lot of praise Smile

Derek Merdinyan
lair
View Profile
New user
Michael P. Lair
44 Posts

Profile of lair
I agree with with my good friend Richard Hughes: Just buy the notes and clip...you'll love it! Also, don't forget a set of candle caps...excellent, too! You'll probably also see things at Tim Sonefelt's site you'll want, too. He has some excellent dove items, also... http://www.timsonefelt.com