The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Help for Problem With Jardine Ellis Ring ?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
briancherbo
View Profile
New user
The Second Deal
40 Posts

Profile of briancherbo
Hey,. everyone -

I have a problem with a Jardine Ellis ring. I hate to toss it, it's a realy nice looking one.

I'm trying to figure out how to describe the problem without revealing too much and it's tough! You can likely guess the problem - Let's say it is in the "starting" position and is extremely difficult to "work with" unles I use a small screwdriver...

Haha! This is kind of funny!

Anyway - Any advice on making the ring easier to "work" (like fluids, bending, etc.) I would really appreciate!

Thanks -
Brian
Matt Morell
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, CT.
257 Posts

Profile of Matt Morell
Have you tried using " Brass-o " or some other kind of cleaning solvent to make the ring/gimmick work more smoothly ? Could be that the brass is just tarnished making things difficult to handle.

Hopefully the gimmick is not bent. If so, it's going to be real hard to get it back to normal specs.
briancherbo
View Profile
New user
The Second Deal
40 Posts

Profile of briancherbo
Quote:
On 2005-09-24 09:06, Matt Morell wrote:
Have you tried using " Brass-o " or some other kind of cleaning solvent to make the ring/gimmick work more smoothly ? Could be that the brass is just tarnished making things difficult to handle.

Hopefully the gimmick is not bent. If so, it's going to be real hard to get it back to normal specs.

That's a GREAT idea, Matt - Thanks! I hope it's just a build up like that. I had one for many years, never had this problem before.
Matt Morell
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, CT.
257 Posts

Profile of Matt Morell
No problem,

Good luck,I hope it works out for you. I had the same problem before. The ring had tarnished and the gimmick would stick but brass-o did the trick.

Best,
Matt
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2005-09-24 09:06, Matt Morell wrote:

Thanks for that reminder for those who don't use such cleaners. Maybe that's the reason I've never had this problem as I Brasso the heck out of all my brass stuff. Just an obsession I guess.
Matt Morell
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, CT.
257 Posts

Profile of Matt Morell
I found an old can of " Tarnite , Metal Polish " kickin' around the house that actually seems to give a better shine than " Brass-O " especially for larger items . Don't know if it's still available but it's designed to do the same thing as Brass-o.
Used it on my old " Breathalizer" effect to clean up the brass pieces and it gave it a mirror-type shine. Sweetness, I must say !

Matt
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I've posted a number of times re. how great Tarnite is. Many years ago a friend of mine who was a full-time metalworker suggested the product and I've used it ever since. You can find it here.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I appreciate that tip on the Brass cleaner... Brasso works, but it wasn't cutting it with all my stuff. Will give this Tarnite a try.

Any tips from seasoned cleaners on making the cleaning process most effective?

John
Matt Morell
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, CT.
257 Posts

Profile of Matt Morell
John,

You have to really let the Tarnite sit for awhile before wiping down with a soft cloth . Needs time to work its MAGIC.

I alway's used to wait a few minutes .
Let us know how it works out for you.

Matt
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Hmmm, interesting, I've never let my coins sit in Tarnite. Instead, I generously soak the corner of a tissue in the cleaner, vigorously wipe the coin with it for maybe 15 seconds, run water over the coin, and then dry the coin/shine it with a clean tissue.
cafezingo
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of cafezingo
Some coin companies use Nev-r-Dull (or similar spelling) to polish their coins. It's a solvent-coated cotton that comes in a can. Hard to find, but it's worth it. For coins, one can of it, using a small piece of it at a time, should last three lifetimes. I no longer polish gaffed copper coins (such as English pennies), as I found that their color when polished can be very different from polished real ones. I just let the gaffed copper coin tarnish along with a real one, so I have a matched pair.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I do a Jardin Ellis effect using the ball and tube.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.