The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magicians of old :: Source for daugerotype of Edwin Sachs? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
I've been spending a lot of time recently with "Sleight of Hand", by Edwin Sachs. Those who've read it know that it's a wealth of information and that a lot of the material is still surprisingly fresh despite being over a century old.

Anyways, I was talking about the book with a buddy of mine and he's convinced that he's seen an old daugerotype of Sachs in a book on magic history, but he has no idea which one. I'd be interested in tracking it down, just for the purposes of putting a face to the "voice" of the book. Has anybody else seen this?

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
asper
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of asper
Paul, this is public domain! I have a copy of it and just converted it to CD. I also created an MP3.

If you're interested in it, please let me know and I'll send you a link to the server.

If there's enough demand on this thread, I'll sneak this onto my server at work to handle the bandwidth. Does anyone aside from Paul want this?

This footage is quite amazing. Part of it is probably the first ever recorded telephone trick. And it's quite funny as well. It was probably funnier when it was recorded, but I still found it quite amusing, in a British sort of way.
npm37
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of npm37
Hi,

At the risk of sounding like a real beginner - what is a daugerotype?
asper
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of asper
Daguerreotype (actual spelling):
1. An early photographic process with the image made on a light-sensitive silver-coated metallic plate.
2. A photograph made by this process.

I do have scans of them.

However, even more rare is a copy of an early audio recording made by Sachs. This is worth gold!
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2005-09-14 23:19, asper wrote:
If there's enough demand on this thread, I'll sneak this onto my server at work to handle the bandwidth. Does anyone aside from Paul want this?

Yes, I am definitely interested. I love all things related to magic history. This sounds exciting!
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
asper
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of asper
Anyone else? Danny, I pm'ed you a link to my personal server.

Posted: Sep 15, 2005 10:40pm
Wow, I'm overwhelmed with all of the pm's that I've received about this. When I get to work on Monday, I will upload the jpegs and mp3 files to the server. I will then post a link here. A few of you got my personal server link, but I'm past my bandwidth quota for the month. This will be well worth the wait! I promise you that.
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1228 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Count me in!

A.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Thanks Asper. It was really nice of you to offer this to the community. Much appreciated.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1228 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Yes, thanks!

A.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
lekin
View Profile
Regular user
Sometimes less is more so I only have
180 Posts

Profile of lekin
I just came across this thread and am definitely interested. Any updated info and thanks in advance.