The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Illusionarium - by Peter Loughran :: A bad assistant? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Every Stage Illusionist or stage performer, well one that uses either a crew of 2 or more, for that matter, highly depends on their assistants, not only to make the show, but to make the magic.

Many assistants are highly under rated, and under paid. The assistants jobs range from lighting, to sound, to stage managemnet, assisting with the illusions, costume changes, curtain calls, set up and break down, etc., etc.

Now let me tell you a little story.

I was doing a show for television, some 13 years ago for the a bridal show held at the Barrie Race way in Ontario Canada. Durring our act, the finale was for one of my assistants to complete a Substitution trunk with a costume change(being a specially designed bridal outfit). Now keep in mind we did this several times each day durring the weekend bridal show, however on our last performance, the change was a little slower.

My assistant came out wearing something that looked a little more risque~however the audience for the most part bought it, and the show was over.

However there were some members of the audience who realized that my assistant simply was not fully changed, and was sporting some sexy undergarments, that were not in the bridal show's line up. I actually got great reviews from the men!

Bad thing was that this was also caught on Live Television. However I got a lot of bookings out of this also. I don't suggest anyone actually trying this, unless at an appropriate night club etc. This was simply a luck of the draw, and also the fact that a lot of people didn't quite realize what had just taken place.

Now here is my point.

A magician, or any performer for that matter is only as good as their assistant.

If an assistant makes a mistake, and screws up part of the show, now matter how good YOU WERE, they will never say..."Wow that was a good magician with a bad assistant!"

No, they will never say that,

Here is what they will say:

"Wow that was a bad magician"!

Now although in my case the situation was accidental, or perhaps a case of slacking, The moral of the story is,

Respect,
Overpay,
Award,
Rehearse,

and most of all,

Appreciate your assistants,
considering your NAME is on the line and not their own.

And you will be duly rewarded!

Never ever treat an assistant other than an equal.

If not for them, there would be no magic!

That's the best advice I can give on this subject!

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com